Belles card best round of season, move into second

After their second MIAA jamboree at Alma on Saturday, the Belles stand in second place in conference standings, 14 strokes behind Hope.

Saint Mary's finished with a team score of 324, which was their best score of the season, but it was not enough to beat out Hope, who was ahead by six strokes. Belles coach Kim Moore attributed the Belles’ early success to their play in non-conference tournaments at the beginning of the season.

“We are a very young team, and playing in our previous events gave a lot of our young players the experience and confidence they need to understand the difference between high school and college golf,” Moore said. “Every time we get an opportunity to play, the more experience we get.”

Leading the way for Saint Mary’s was sophomore Courtney Carlson, who shot a 78 on the day at Pine River Country Club in Alma, Michigan, tying for second individually. Sophomore Ali Mahoney followed as the second-best performance for the Belles, turning in a score of 79 for a fourth-place tie.

Moore also said freshman Kaitlyn Cartone stood out, finishing with a score of 82 and seventh place individually. Moore has praised Cartone from the start of the season for her progress throughout the year.

“Kaitlyn Cartone has been a great contributor these last few rounds,” Moore said. “I knew from the very beginning she had all the skills to be helpful to this team. I contribute her great play to her wonderful attitude and willingness to practice hard day in and day out. She is always eager to learn and get better. Her work ethic is something I want all of my current players and future players to emulate. I am really looking forward to seeing all of the hardware coming her way.”

Senior Janice Heffernan and freshman Kelsey Conkright were the last two eligible Saint Mary’s golfers, ending the day with scores of 85 and 96, respectively. Junior Kate Zielinski competed as an individual on the day, finishing with a score of 92 and tying for 33rd place.

The Belles travel to Hope today to compete in their third MIAA jamboree of the season. The last time it played in a competition hosted by Hope, Saint Mary’s finished in second place at the 2012 MIAA End of Season Weekend Jamboree.

“Going into the next jamboree at The Ravines, which is a very difficult course, I want my team to take one hole at a time and be patient,” Moore said. “The Ravines is a course where par and/or bogey can be a good score. Our team goal is to continue playing smart and to not make the big mistakes. If we do that, then I'm extremely confident that the last half of the conference jamborees will be a great battle.”

The Belles look to take sole possession of first place in the MIAA standings, teeing off today at 1 p.m. at The Ravines Golf Course in Saugatuck, Michigan.