Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Belles’ comeback falls short, now prepare for Albion

Saint Mary’s fell behind early in its game Sunday and was unable to complete a late comeback, losing 2-1 to conference-leading Hope.

The Flying Dutch (6-2, 5-0 MIAA), who had scored nine goals in their previous four games, continued their offensive momentum against the Belles (3-5, 1-3) with a goal just 55 seconds into the match. Hope sophomore forward Elizabeth Perkins netted her team-leading fifth goal of the season from eight yards out, marking her third consecutive game with a goal. The Belles bounced back and were able to get a few chances with shots from senior defender Abby Garcia and junior defender Lindsay Rzepecki, but neither resulted in goals.

The Flying Dutch tacked on to their lead early in the second half after a series of offensive opportunities resulted in a goal from 17 yards out by senior forward Nora Kirk. The shot came from near the end line across the box and edged past Belles senior goalkeeper Chanler Rosenbaum to put Hope ahead 2-0.

Saint Mary’s junior defender Lindsay Rzepecki shields the ball from an Alma defender during the Belles’ 1-0 loss on Oct. 16, 2013.
Observer File Photo
Observer File Photo
The scoreline remained the unchanged until the 88th minute, when a Belles counterattack allowed sophomore midfielder Jenn Jarmy to find senior midfielder Erin Mishu on a pass inside the six-yard box. Mishu put the ball in from three yards out to cut the Hope lead to 2-1.

The goal gave Mishu a team-high three goals on the season, including a game-winner in the Belles’ 1-0 win over Calvin last Tuesday, which was also assisted by Jarmy.

The last-minute push by Saint Mary’s was not enough, however, as a shot from Garcia in the final minutes sailed over the crossbar, and the game ended at 2-1. Hope outshot Saint Mary’s 12-5 on the game and currently sits atop the MIAA with an undefeated 5-0 conference record.

Saint Mary’s senior midfielder tracks down an Illinois Tech player during the Belles’ 4-1 win on Sept. 2, 2013.
Observer File Photo
The Belles, meanwhile, fell to 1-3 against conference opponents but will have the chance to improve their conference record in their next game against Albion on Wednesday.

The Britons (5-3-1, 1-3-1), are coming off a 1-0 loss to Calvin and have struggled in conference after posting a 4-0 record in non-conference play. Though they outscored opponents 21-5 during that four-game stretch to start the season, they have scored just four goals in five games since.

Albion is led offensively by sophomore forward Domenique Sarnecky and junior midfielder Caroline Egan, who have scored seven and five goals this season, respectively.

Last season, Saint Mary’s tied Albion, 2-2 the first time the two squared off, and came out with a 1-0 victory on Senior Day in the second encounter. Albion finished second-to-last in conference with a 2-13-1 MIAA record in 2013.

The Belles will host the Britons on Wednesday for a conference game at 4 p.m.