-

-

SMC Soccer

Belles drop contest at Illinois Wesleyan

| Thursday, September 4, 2014

Coming off a 2-1 overtime win against Mount St. Joseph over the weekend, Saint Mary’s could not replicate its success Tuesday against Illinois Wesleyan in Bloomington, Ill., unable to handle its potent offense and ultimately losing the game, 4-1.

The Titans (2-1) jumped out to an early lead in the sixth minute on a goal from freshman midfielder Cassandra Leishman, which looped from the top of the box into the upper righthand corner of the net.

Throughout the game, they continued to test the Belles (1-2) and create scoring opportunities, earning seven corner kicks in the first half alone. Illinois Wesleyan racked up 13 shots in the half while not allowing a single shot attempt by Saint Mary’s, who was outmatched and struggled to move the ball forward and create chances.

With the ball frequently in their offensive end, the Titans were able to pad their lead with goals in the 33rd and 39th minutes, both coming from rebounded shots.

Titans sophomore forward Skyler Tomko, who scored the third goal on a rebound, added her second goal with a header in the 50th minute to stretch the lead to 4-0.

The Belles, however, did not let up and began to move the ball forward more successfully. In the 65th minute, sophomore forward Liza Felix played a ball from the left flank to the right corner of the 18-yard box and was able to connect with sophomore midfielder Jenn Jarmy, who beat the advancing Illinois Wesleyan goalkeeper to the ball with a sliding effort. The ball flew over the keeper and into the empty net, giving the Belles their first goal.

The game ended in a 4-1 loss for the Belles, who were outshot 21-2 in the game. Senior goalkeepers Chanler Rosenbaum and Natalie Warner split time for Saint Mary’s — Rosenbaum played the first half and tallied five saves, and Warner replaced her at halftime and came up with one save.

The Belles have just one game left — a matchup against Illinois Tech on Sunday — before they begin their MIAA schedule.

Like Illinois Wesleyan, the Scarlet Hawks (2-0) have some offensive firepower — they have scored nine goals in their opening two games of the season.

In their first game, as part of the College of Staten Island Fall Classic in New York, they topped Staten Island 2-1 in a match they controlled, racking up 11 shots on goal and holding their opponent to just three.

The following day, Illinois Tech showed its offensive abilities again in a 7-0 trouncing of John Jay, in which it posted a dominant 29-4 advantage in shots, as well as a 15-1 margin for corner kicks. Scarlet Hawks sophomore forward Anida Phetchanpheng picked up a hat trick against John Jay, and junior forward Lorena Souza added a goal and an assist in each of the two games.

The Belles will travel to play at Illinois Tech in Chicago on Sunday at 2 p.m.

Tags: , , , , ,