-

-

SMC Cross Country

Belles grab second place

| Monday, September 1, 2014

In its season opener Saturday, Saint Mary’s placed second out of three teams at the Wabash Hokum Karem in Crawfordsville, Ind.

A hokum karem is a combination of a relay race and a standard cross-country race where two runners alternate running legs of a six-mile race. The first three pairs for each team count towards the overall score, with each subsequent pair competing individually.

DePauw took the first three spots in the race before the Belles got their first pair of runners across as sophomore Brittany Beeler and freshman Reilly Pieri crossed the line with a time of 36:54.6. The Belles got their other scoring pairings across the finish line in 10th and 11th — freshmen Natalie Hawkes and Caitlin Blum posted a time of 38:26.1, while juniors Allie Danhof and Katelyn Dunn finished in 38:34.9, but they counted as fifth and sixth in the team standings because every pair in front of them competed as individuals.

Other pairings for the Belles were sophomores Kaitlyn Alessi and Kathryn Marshall (38:55.4), seniors Samee Chittenden and Erin Knauf (39:12.9), freshmen Alyssa Furman and Anna McClowry (40:39.3), sophomore Colleen Ogren and junior Colleen Burke (41:32.8) and freshman Anna Riddle and Maggie Pacana (41:50.8).

Danville Area also attended the meet, although the squad failed to record a team score with only two pairs racing. The meet was hosted by the all-male Wabash University in Crawfordsville, Ind. The Little Giants took home the victory in the men’s race, sweeping the top three spots.

The Belles have this weekend off before returning to action on Sept. 13 at the Calvin Knight Invitational in Grand Rapids, Mich. Race time is scheduled for 10:45 a.m.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

About Alex Carson

Alex Carson graduated from Notre Dame in 2017 after majoring in Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics and living in O’Neill Hall. Hailing from the Indianapolis area, but born in Youngstown, Ohio, Carson is a Cleveland sports fan convinced that he’s already lived the “best day of his life.”At The Observer, Carson was first a Sports Writer, then served as an Associate Sports Editor (2015/16) and an Assistant Managing Editor (2016/17), before finishing his tenure as a Senior Sports Writer.A man of strong convictions, he ardently believes that Carly Rae Jepsen's 2015 release E•MO•TION is the greatest album of his generation, and wakes up early on Saturday mornings to listen, or occasionally watch, his favorite least-favorite sports team, Aston Villa.When he isn’t writing, Carson spends his time counting down the days to the next running of the Indianapolis 500 and reminding people that the Victory March starts with the lyric, “Rally sons of Notre Dame,” not “Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame.”

Contact Alex