-

-

Best days of the year

| Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Midterms got you down? Roommate got you sick? Interviews got you stressing? Well cheer up! Today is the 35th best day of the year — and it’s only going up from here.

Sept. 30 may not look like much, but it’s the calendar equivalent of the ugly duckling. It’s the last day of the month, which means one thing, and one awesome thing only: tomorrow is the start of October.

It’s true. Oct. 1 through 31 are in a 31-way tie for the best day of the year. Next is your birthday, followed by Christmas and Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving and Christmas, depending on whether you’re a capitalist or a freeloader. If your birthday is in October, so much the better! Today is the 34th best day of the year.

People say April 25 is the perfect date — not too hot, not too cold; all you need is a light jacket — but the same is true for the entire month of October. And October is better because you don’t look silly wearing a jacket; after all, winter’s creeping up on you. If you wear a jacket in April, you just look like a wimp.

Have you ever seen a sky bluer than those of a glorious October afternoon? No, you haven’t. That’s because red and blue lie across from each other on the color wheel, so the contrast of red leaves makes October blue particularly brilliant.

October is the definitive time for watching football, for apple picking, for running outside and for stuffing yourself full of candy corn because you just ran outside. It’s the apotheosis of the pumpkin — not just the Pumpkin Spice Latte, mind you, but pumpkin bread, pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin soup if you’re adventurous. But not pumpkin pie — that’s just knockoff November trying to look cool.

October is also the only month you can appropriately describe with the word “crisp.” Everyone loves the word crisp, probably because it’s most often employed on food (e.g., bacon, apples, apple crisp). No one talks about crisp August days. Crisp October days, on the other hand, are a very different story.

If October were one of Jesus’s 12 disciples, it would be John, the most famous and influential after Peter but less flashy (I’m looking at you, July!). John was known to have a fiery temper, appropriate for the October color palette, and was in Christ’s inner circle as a special favorite.

If October were one of the 12 days of Christmas, it would be the 12 drummers drumming because the buildup is so intense but the glory is comparatively, and tragically, short-lived. Plus, October is for football, and marching bands are a key part of the game day experience.

And if October were one of the 12 Olympian gods, it would be Demeter, goddess of agriculture, nature and the seasons. Pumpkins, leaves, corn and odd-looking squashes are good for more than just Thanksgiving cornucopias. They’re a way of life in the fall, and October is the king of fall.

So chin up, Notre Dame! Campus is about to burst into light and color and the sky is opening up for one last hurrah before the permacloud sets in. Grab those cardigans, break out your jeans and don’t forget to set up your spookiest cobwebs — we’re heading in to the 30 best days of the year.

About Lesley Stevenson

Lesley Stevenson is a senior news writer for The Observer after previously serving as News Editor and an Assistant Managing Editor. She is a senior from Memphis, Tennessee, studying Film, Television and Theatre (FTT) and American Studies and living in Breen-Phillips Hall. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @lcstevenson, and visit her website at lcstevenson.wordpress.com

Contact Lesley