-

-

Dean assumes VP position

| Monday, September 1, 2014

Notre Dame appointed Gregory P. Crawford, physics professor and dean of the College of Science, to associate provost and vice president, effective July 1, 2015, according to a University press release.

“Greg’s passion, creativity, intellect, energy and enthusiasm have taken the College of Science to new heights,” Provost Thomas G. Burish said in a statement. “These same attributes will serve the University well as he establishes a physical presence for Notre Dame in the West. We are grateful for his six years of service as dean and look forward to his contributions in his new role.”

Crawford will expand and develop Notre Dame’s connections in the San Francisco Bay Area of California before extending his work to include the whole state, the press release stated. His work will include recruiting top students, finding new internship and employment opportunities for current undergraduates and exploring connections that could help provide and fund sabbaticals for faculty.

“Extending our virtues and values to northern California is only the next step in Notre Dame’s goal of expanding across the state and elevating our impact on the world as a force for good – building on our long tradition of service to humanity and our accelerating achievements in that cause,” Crawford said in a statement. “I am profoundly grateful and inspired by the students, faculty and staff of the College of Science, who devote themselves, day in and day out, to fulfilling Notre Dame’s mission.”

Crawford began his role as dean in 2008 and since then has overseen more than 500 faculty, staff and postdoctoral researchers, the press release stated. Before that, he served at Brown University as dean of engineering from 2006 to 2008 as well as professor of physics and engineering from 1996 to 2008.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report