-

-

Men's Interhall

Dillon attempts to defeat defending-champs Keough in season-opener

| Thursday, September 18, 2014

Keough looks to take its first step towards repeating last season’s interhall title when it goes up against Dillon on Sunday afternoon.

While the Kangaroos lost some production due to graduation — including their starting quarterback Seamus Donegan — they also return some players who made an impact in the championship game. Junior receiver and captain Mitchell Patin returns after catching the winning touchdown pass at Notre Dame Stadium a year ago, while sophomore defensive back Matthew Mooney returns after making a crucial interception in the title game.

When the two teams met last season, Keough ran its way to a 22-0 victory over Dillon. The Big Red finished 2-2 last season, good enough to sneak into the playoffs where they fell to Keenan. While the Dillon offense sputtered at times last year — scoring under five points per game — junior quarterback and captain Colin Cunningham said his team hopes to get production through the air on the offensive side of the ball.

“We’re going to try to throw the ball as much as we can,” Cunningham said. “But the game plan might change throughout the game depending on how we do.”

Dillon will look towards a crop of new players this year to try and get them to the top.

“On defense we’ve got a [junior] safety named Brian Walter who’s really, really good,” Cunningham said. “It’s his first year playing interhall so he’ll be one to watch. On offense we’ve got a [sophomore] running back named Morris LaGrand and it’s also his first time playing. He was a stud in high school.”

The Big Red will look to upset last season’s champions Sunday at the Riehle Fields at 1:00 p.m.

Contact Alex Carson at acarson1@nd.edu

About Alex Carson

Alex Carson graduated from Notre Dame in 2017 after majoring in Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics and living in O’Neill Hall. Hailing from the Indianapolis area, but born in Youngstown, Ohio, Carson is a Cleveland sports fan convinced that he’s already lived the “best day of his life.”At The Observer, Carson was first a Sports Writer, then served as an Associate Sports Editor (2015/16) and an Assistant Managing Editor (2016/17), before finishing his tenure as a Senior Sports Writer.A man of strong convictions, he ardently believes that Carly Rae Jepsen's 2015 release E•MO•TION is the greatest album of his generation, and wakes up early on Saturday mornings to listen, or occasionally watch, his favorite least-favorite sports team, Aston Villa.When he isn’t writing, Carson spends his time counting down the days to the next running of the Indianapolis 500 and reminding people that the Victory March starts with the lyric, “Rally sons of Notre Dame,” not “Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame.”

Contact Alex