Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Giggles All Night with Ron Funches

web_ron funches
Sara Shoemake
Sara Shoemake
They say laughter is contagious, but what about a giggle? Comedian Ron Funches proved the same rule applies when he entertained the crowd at Legends on Saturday night with his jokes, impressions and notably high-pitched giggle.

Funches, a stand-up comedian from Southern California, strolled out onto the Legends stage Saturday night following a short performance by Student Standups president, Pat McManus. Despite Funchess' laid-back manner and somewhat sleepy disposition, he had the crowd energized and doubled over in laughter.

Funches began by poking fun at himself, satirizing the simplicity of his own job.

“I basically just travel around and tell people what I like and don’t like," he joked.

The funny-man then entertained the audience with a comedic view of what he enjoyed about each season, a pretty impressive feat if you think about it. How many people do you know who can make jokes simply by listing their favorite seasonal attributes?

A star of shows like NBC’s “Undateable,” Funches appealed to the audience by poking fun at a wide variety of subjects, ranging from rap music to cats to toasters. Through humorous comparisons with everyday objects, Funches seemed able to turn anything into a joke.

But perhaps just as funny as his material and unique delivery was his own reaction. As Funches began to interact with the crowd, calling on members of the audience, he giggled uncontrollably, not only at their responses, but also at his own jokes. The high-pitched laugh, which Funches has compared to that of an Asian schoolgirl, had the crowd roaring along with the lovable comedian, who seemed to be enjoying himself on the stage.

Throughout the hour-long performance, Funches continued to make fun of and joke with a few brave members of the crowd, putting them on the spot and creating awkward scenarios, much to the delight of the rest of the audience. There were no hard feelings, however, as Funches turned the spotlight back to himself, critiquing his own blunders, quirks and unsuccessful love life.

Funches, who has likened himself to a loveable teddy bear, closed his performance as casually as he had opened it, asking when he should leave the stage. Before walking off the stage, he left the audience with a familiar joke asking,  “Who here is going to hip-hop night?” While the laughter from the audience and comedian marked the success of the show, it is still hard to tell who was more entertained: the audience or Funches himself.