Sunday, May 5, 2024

Guests enhance 'electric' game

Thousands of fans flocked to campus Saturday under warm sun and cool breezes to experience Notre Dame football’s final meeting with Michigan for the foreseeable future, and the first night game weekend of the season brought several special guests to campus.

“Coach Lou Holtz and David Feherty from the Golf Channel joined Coach Kelly and the team at the pep rally,” associate vice president for campus safety Mike Seamon said. “David Feherty was on campus filming with Coach Holtz for the Feherty Show for … Tuesday night's episode.”

“The environment in the Stadium on Saturday night was absolutely electric,” he said. “I can't remember an environment as intense and exciting as this past Saturday night.

“The Navy SEALs flying in the United States flag along with the Notre Dame flag and the game ball was an incredible sight and a great way to begin the game, along with Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Martin Dempsey, presenting the flag for the national anthem.”

Seamon said more than 1,100 people attended Friday’s football luncheon in the Joyce Athletic and Convocation Center and 3,500 toured the Stadium tunnel. More than 1,300 people also visited the LaBar Practice facility, he said.

“All parking lots were completely sold out and at capacity as people made their way to campus early given the great weather and the magnitude of the game,” Seamon said. “… As expected, we experienced high numbers throughout the entire weekend for all activities.

"We had over 13,000 in attendance for the pep rally held outside on the Library Quad between Touchdown Jesus and [Notre Dame] Stadium.”

Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) Chief Phil Johnson said traffic ran “smoothly” before the game, although motorists leaving campus experienced “very heavy” traffic, as expected. He said NDSP arrested 16 people.

“14 arrests were for public intoxication or public order related offenses,” Johnson said. “Two men were arrested for shoplifting.”

Indiana State Excise Police officers cited a restaurant and arrested or cited 15 people on 42 charges in South Bend throughout the weekend, according to an Excise police report. They did not arrest any tailgaters around Notre Dame Stadium on Saturday.

“Excise police officers also cited Between the Buns … on a preliminary charge of allowing carryout of alcohol not in its original container after officers saw several patrons leave with large plastic cups with alcoholic beverages,” the report stated.

Other charges included: six for possession of false identification, five for illegal possession or consumption of alcohol, four for minor in a tavern or liquor store, four for false statement of age, four for misuse of license, three for open container violations, two for possession of a false government-issued identification and two drug-related charges.

“Excise officers also issued several traffic tickets for seat-belt violations and one for not using headlights,” the report stated. “They also issued written warnings for seat-belt violations, no license plate light and failure to signal lane change.”