-

-

Football

Historical Perspective: Purdue Week

| Thursday, September 11, 2014

Series History:

• Notre Dame and Purdue are squaring off for the 86th time in series history. Notre Dame holds a 57-26-2 edge through the years.
  • The teams first met in 1896, when the Boilermakers topped the Irish, 28-22, in South Bend.
  • Notre Dame and Purdue have met each year since 1946, tying Notre Dame’s series with USC for the second-longest continuous series. Navy has been an Irish opponent each year since 1927.
  • Notre Dame’s 57 victories against the Boilermakers are its second-most against any one opponent.
  • The Irish have won each of the last six contests.
  • Following Saturday’s tilt, the next scheduled meeting between the two teams is Sept. 19, 2020.

Notable Moments:

The Observer from Sept. 13, 1997.The Observer

The Observer from Sept. 13, 1997.

The Observer from Sept. 18, 2000.The Observer

The Observer from Sept. 18, 2000.

The Observer from Sept. 28, 2009.The Observer

The Observer from Sept. 28, 2009.

The Observer from 1968.The Observer

The Observer from 1968.

The Observer from 1968.The Observer

The Observer from 1968.

Top Performances:

• In 1992, Irish running back Reggie Brooks carried 15 times for 205 yards and three touchdowns in a 48-0 win over Purdue in South Bend.
  • Former Irish receiver and two-time All-American Jim Seymour posted 13 receptions for 276 yards and three touchdowns in the 1966 season-opener, which the Irish won, 26-14.
  • Former Irish All-American linebacker Bob Golic tallied 19 tackles in Notre Dame’s 10-6 win over the Boilermakers in 1978.
Tags: , , , , ,

About Mike Monaco

Senior Sports Writer Mike Monaco is a senior majoring in Film, Television and Theatre with a minor in Journalism, Ethics, and Democracy as well as Business Economics. The O’Neill Hall native hails from the Boston area and is an aspiring play-by-play broadcaster.

Contact Mike