Michigan Notebook: Irish end shutout streak

Shutout history

Notre Dame’s shutout of Michigan broke the Wolverines’ NCAA-best streak of 365 games without being held to zero points. The game also marked the first time the Irish shut out Michigan in 42 meetings between the two schools. The win gave Notre Dame an all-time record of 876-305-42 (.733), which tied it with Texas for second place in all-time Football Bowl Subdivision victories.

Special teams have special performance

#6 20140906, 2014-2015, 09062014, Amy Ackermann, Football, Michigan vs. Notre Dame, W 31-0-7
Amy Ackermann | The Observer
Amy Ackermann | The Observer
Senior kicker Kyle Brindza converted all four of his extra point attempts against Michigan, extending his streak to 59 completed extra points in a row. He also had touchbacks on five of his six kickoffs, giving him 12 touchbacks on 15 attempts for the season. Brindza kicked his 46th career field goal in the fourth quarter, tying him for second with former Irish kicker Nick Setta on Notre Dame’s all-time list of most field goals kicked. With 26 return yards Saturday, the Notre Dame punt return team has gained 106 punt return yards in two games. The Irish return team gained 106 total yards in 13 games last season.

A game of firsts

A legion of less-experienced players had an impact for the first time against the Wolverines. Sophomore safety Max Redfield had his first career interception, while graduate student cornerback Cody Riggs had his first interception in an Irish uniform. Senior receiver Amir Carlisle scored his first two touchdowns at Notre Dame, while sophomore linebacker James Onwualu recorded his first career punt return. Linebacker Kolin Hill became the 11th freshman to get a taste of playing time this season, and the eighth freshman on the defensive side of the ball to play.