Notre Dame announces series with Ohio State set for 2022, 2023

Notre Dame and Ohio State will meet in a two-game, home-and-home series in 2022 and 2023, the University announced Thursday morning.

The Irish and the Buckeyes will square off Sept. 3, 2022, at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio, and Sept. 23, 2023, at Notre Dame Stadium.

“I am excited we are able once again to bring these two programs together on the football field,” Notre Dame Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick said in a press release. “Football games between Notre Dame and Ohio State make great sense from a strength-of-schedule standpoint. In addition, with (Ohio State athletics director) Gene Smith having both played and coached football at Notre Dame — and with (Ohio State head coach) Urban Meyer having served as an assistant football coach at Notre Dame — there are some obvious, high-profile connections between our two institutions.”

Meyer spent five seasons (1996-2000) as an assistant coach at Notre Dame.

Notre Dame and Ohio State last faced off in the regular season in 1996 and 1995. In 1996, No. 4 Ohio State topped No. 5 Notre Dame, 29-16. The No. 7 Buckeyes also defeated the No. 15 Irish in 1995.

The teams last met in the Fiesta Bowl in 2006, with No. 4 Ohio State downing No. 5 Notre Dame, 34-20.

“Any time you talk about Notre Dame and Ohio State meeting in a football game, that event automatically is going to have huge national significance,” Irish head coach Brian Kelly said in a press release. “For fans and alumni of the two schools, not to mention college football fans in general, these games will be great attractions.”

20140412, Blue Gold Game, Russell, Caroline Genco
Caroline Genco | The Observer
Caroline Genco | The Observer

Kelly says honor committee hearings to occur 'very soon'

Kelly said Thursday evening he was told Monday that the honor committee hearings for the five withheld players were going to occur “very quickly,” but Kelly said it is his understanding the hearings haven’t happened yet.

“It is my understanding … it’s about to occur very soon,” Kelly said at his standard Thursday media briefing.

Irish junior cornerback KeiVarae Russell, senior receiver DaVaris Daniels, senior defensive end Ishaq Williams, graduate student linebacker Kendall Moore and senior safety Eilar Hardy have been held out of practice and competition during the probe into “suspected academic dishonesty.”

If Notre Dame were to get back the withheld players Friday, Kelly said they would play Saturday when the Irish battle Michigan.

“If we were hypothetically to get that call, they’d be running out of that tunnel on Saturday,” Kelly said.

Irish senior defensive end and captain Sheldon Day works past his blocker in an attempt to get to the ball carrier during Notre Dame’s 48-17 victory over Rice on Saturday.
Wei Lin | The Observer
For now, the players are still being withheld from practice and competition by the University. Meanwhile, Kelly has made the decision to keep the five players out of meetings. Kelly said the quintet has stayed in physical condition by working with Irish director of football strength and conditioning Paul Longo, but, other than that, the group has not taken any “football reps.”