Pasquerilla West begins title defense against Finest

The interhall flag football season kicks off this weekend, with defending champion Pasquerilla West going up against Farley.

Colleen Doyle, senior captain and offensive lineman, believes the Purple Weasels have a good chance of repeating this year, she said.

“We definitely have high expectations,” Doyle said. “We all have the goal of getting back to the stadium, so we're eager to get playing and see how it goes.”

Farley’s season last year was not as successful as Pasquerilla West’s, but the team is hopeful it will start off strong, sophomore quarterback Lizzy Moulton said.

“[I expect] a championship,” Moulton said. “I expect us to play well and try our hardest. I think we have a pretty athletic squad and I’m expecting big things from this Farley team. We’re definitely not going to go down without a fight.”

Moulton was on Farley’s B-team last year, which lost at the championship at Notre Dame Stadium. She said the Finest’s mindset will give them a chance at upsetting the reigning champion Purple Weasels.

“It’s going to be a great matchup,” Moulton said. “We’re hoping to put up a good fight, we’re hoping to come out with a win. It’s definitely going to be a tough match for us, but if we play hard and play smart I think we should come out with the 'W.'”

Doyle said she expects newcomers to have a big impact on Pasquerilla West’s season.

“We graduated some valuable talent and leadership and have some big shoes to fill but the young talent is really stepping up and we have a few returnees from abroad who will likely fill some of those gaps pretty well,” Doyle said. “We'll be counting on our juniors to be the backbone of our defense.”

Team unity will also be crucial to Pasquerilla West’s performance, Doyle said.

“[Pasquerilla West] has some really strong team camaraderie which I think is a big factor,” Doyle said. “We're well balanced on both sides of the ball with some very solid coaching, so we'll see how that translates to the game.”

Pasquerilla West and Farley face off on Sunday at 5 p.m. at LaBar Fields.