Pyros attempt to stay perfect against Howard

The interhall season is now in full swing, as Pasquerilla East will square off against Howard on the gridiron in each team's third game Sunday afternoon.

Coming off two wins in the first week of the season, the Pyros (2-0) look to continue their early-season success and place themselves in good position for the playoffs. Pasquerilla East sophomore captain Noelle Gooding said the team keeps its perfect record in perspective, however.

“[We are] going in confident, but we still have to keep our heads in the game,” Gooding said. “Coming off those two wins, we have a lot of confidence as a team, but we just need to keep going strong like it’s a clean sheet.”

Gooding attributed Pasquerilla East’s success to a veteran presence and balanced approach.

“[We have] a combination of returning players with a strong offense and defense, [who are] working well with our coaching staff,” Gooding said.

All of those strengths are important to reach the team’s lofty goals, Gooding said.

“[We want to] make it to [Notre Dame] stadium,” says Gooding. “Last year, we made it to the semifinals and we look for similar success this year.”

While the Pyros look to build on past success, the Ducks (1-1) will try to get a win streak going against the Pyros, after beating Badin, 27-6, last week.

Howard fell to Ryan by a margin of 34-0 in its opening game of the season.

The Ducks have a quick turnaround after the Sunday matchup, meeting Breen-Phillips on Monday afternoon. The Pyros, meanwhile, have a game against undefeated Ryan looming next Sunday.

Pasquerilla East and Howard square off this Sunday at 4 p.m., at LaBar Fields.