Otters look to knock off Vermin

Carroll will look to improve upon its 1-0 record and take control of the division Sunday when it takes on Sorin at Riehle Fields at 3:30 p.m.

Junior Patrick Mazza of Sorin, defensive lineman, rushes the passer in a game last year. Mazza is now a varsity football walk-on.
Michael Yu | The Observer
Michael Yu | The Observer
Despite putting up 21 points against Fisher last weekend, Carroll (1-0) sophomore captain and running back Zachary Dodd said his team will make changes on the offensive side of the ball.

“We are going to add some things on offense this week,” Dodd said. “Last week we had a good showing so we aren’t going to do anything drastic, just build on some things. Because we don’t know much about Sorin’s offense, our game plan is more to just make adjustments as the game goes on.”

Dodd believes his defense, which shutout the Green Wave (0-1) last weekend, will be a major factor on the outcome of the game.

“The strongest part of our team is our defense, especially the line,” Dodd said.

This will be the first game of the season for Sorin (0-0) but junior captain John Pearl said his team cannot afford to get off to a slow start.

“We have to be ready right out of the gate,” Pearl said. “If we stick to our game plan and stay disciplined, we’ll have a chance. Carroll has always put together a good team so we have to be ready for a long, hard-fought game.”

In order to get past the tough Vermin defensive line, Pearl said the Otters will rely on an ariel attack during Sunday’s game.

“The strongest part of our team is our receivers,” Pearl said. “We have a lot of guys that can make plays when the ball is in their hands. The challenge is going to be getting them the ball so they can make those plays.”

The Vermin will look to continue their strong start while the Otters will try to get off on the right foot Sunday at 3:30 p.m. at Riehle Fields.