-

-

scene

Stadium song suggestions

, , , , , and | Monday, September 8, 2014

web_songsSara Shoemake | The Observer

With two victories at home under its belt, the Notre Dame football team certainly doesn’t need any help from us this season. Still, the Scene Staff is here with some advice to make future home victories even sweeter: song suggestions for students, fans and athletes alike to jam out to during games. While nothing could ever replace all of the best music from our own marching band, as long as music is being played on the loud speakers, these songs are our picks for the next “Seven Nation Army” or “Crazy Train.”  These are our favorite songs that are sure to get the Irish pumped up for another victory. 

“D-Boyz” – Rich Boy featuring Mannie Fresh
By Miko Malabute

I’m going to be honest: as of very recently, I wasn’t familiar with this song at all. In fact, I first heard about it two hours prior to writing this “Staff Pick.” But here’s the thing: if Matthias Farley and Everett Golson are telling you that they want to hear the crowd chant “D-Boyz,” and they close out an epic rivalry era against the Michigan Wolverines by handing the team its first shutout loss since 1984, routing them by 31 (ahem, 37) points, then you go ahead and play “D-Boyz” and chant it until you can chant no more. I’m not saying we should pattern ourselves after the Seattle Seahawks, but here’s my final thought: Seattle has its whole “12th Man” and “Legion of Boom” thing going on, and the Seahawks are the defending champions of professional football. So let’s embrace this and have this song playing after each dominating defensive performance. D-Boyz.

“Say a Little Prayer” – Aretha Franklin
By Maddie Daly
As a Catholic university with a major football program, we are one of the few schools that can sing this song seriously during a game and use it to our advantage. “Say a Little Prayer” would bring the fans together, regardless of whether the score is 31-0 in Notre Dame’s favor or not. In case we forgot to say that pre-game prayer, singing this song will remind everyone to put in a good word with the man upstairs. It’s an oldie, yet still a well-known classic, and alumni and students alike can sing along and use this song to pump up the team to push for the win.

“Rock You Like a Hurricane” – Scorpions
By Dan Barabasi

A star of Barney Stinson’s “get pumped playlist,” this Scorpions anthem describes the Notre Dame football spirit, ready to rock foes “Like a Hurricane.” We “wake up early morning/the sun comes out” as we begin to tailgate. Then, as “the night is calling” we file into the Stadium, as hungry wolves who “run the show” against puny opponents.This classic rock song will even keep the faculty section on their feet “til the storm breaks loose.”

“IDONTGIVEA****” – Rabbit Junk
By John Darr

There’s a really easy way to trick people into chanting: play a song that features other people chanting. Rabbit Junk’s new single is a bombardment of shredding guitar and screaming synths — think a maximalist version of Treats-Era Sleigh Bells — backing up a crowd that roars “Oh yeah!” every two seconds. If the chanting vocals and melodic arrangement weren’t as gripping, “IDONTGIVEA****” would be downright obnoxious. But wait — aren’t we talking about a Notre Dame football game? Notre Dame fans, obnoxious? No way. It’s perfect.

“Attak” – Rustie ft. Danny Brown
By Matt McMahon

In high school, I was in charge of cultivating my soccer team’s pump-up album, which we played at home games. I retroactively feel like a failure because I didn’t time travel to a future (namely, earlier this year) when Scottish electronic producer Rustie’s absolutely insane “Attack” came into existence to put it on the playlist. In a mere seven notes, this song hits harder than anything ever heard in Notre Dame Stadium, hereby known as “Attak” by Rustie ft. Danny Brown Stadium. When Danny Brown comes in, it’s his most psychotic delivery since his own birth.  To whoever is in charge of the music during football games: learn from my time-travel shortcomings and play “Attak” whenever someone foolishly sits down.

“Lose Control” – Missy Elliot
By Erin McAuliffe

First of all, Missy Elliot. Second of all, Ciara. If that isn’t reason enough to bump “Lose Control” through the stadium, the jam also adds some female artists to the male dominated sport/experience/playlist. It even embodies the traditional stadium anthem lyrics (“Wave your hands, scream louder”), and the lyrics rub our superiority in the other team’s face (“We on fiya!”). The women even instruct us on how to perform those demanding cheers with weird arm motions, singing “Move your arm to the left, girl, now move your arm to the right, girl.” This song easily transitions from the club to the seventh-grade dance floor to the Notre Dame Stadium — an act of versatility that only Missy Elliot could accomplish.

About Allie Tollaksen

Scene Editor. Senior studying Psychology and dabbling in everything else.

Contact Allie

About Matt McMahon

Notre Dame Class of 2016 student studying Finance and English. From Mercer County, New Jersey. Interests include music, television, film, and writing. Also food.My Mom didn't like what else I had to say here so I took it down.

Contact Matt

About John Darr

Contact John

About Miko Malabute

Senior student at the University of Notre Dame, majoring in Biochemistry. From Tujunga, CA.

Contact Miko

About Erin McAuliffe

I'm Scene's editor and a senior Marketing & Journalism student. To quote the exquisite Sadie Dupuis, "I'm not bossy — I'm the boss."

Contact Erin

About Maddie Daly

A senior English and French major in love with Paris, cooking and fashion, currently residing in Chicago.

Contact Maddie

About Daniel Barabasi

Daniel enjoys taking long walks on the lakes, debating grammatical punctuality and dancing in the swing fashion. In his spare time, he is a neuroscience major in the Class of 2017.

Contact Daniel
  • 91domer

like the sentiments – just a little correction – Dionne Warwick was the first, and best, singing “say a little prayer”. Aretha did a snazzy rendition later.

• GoldAndBlue88

“Enter Sandman” by Metallica

• GoldAndBlue88

or, “Fuel” By Metallica. My highschool football team listened to this song before games, and we got Fired Up! GO IRISH!!!

• guest

How about a song about brotherhood? Bro Hymn by Pennywise

• James

Just get rid of “living on a prayer” and “sweet Caroline” please

• Hotbod Handsomeface

With Kelly’s Boston roots he’s doing his very best to turn ND Stadium into Fenway Park.

• Plz

We need more “I’m Shipping up to Boston”

• Jirish

How about Here Comes the BOOM !! or Sabotage by the beasties or Your the Disease by Soundgarten ?

• Bill O

What’s Golden by Jurassic 5.

• Mitch Naufel

“Wrecking Ball”- Bruce Springsteen

• John Bowman

Prong, “Snap your Fingers Snap Your Neck”

• John Bowman

or some Powerman 5000, Five Finger Death Punch, or Static X

• EmbraIrish

Fields of Athenry.

• Dustin Hostetler

YG – Who do you love, Eminem – Til I collapse