-

-

Club Sports

Women’s Soccer claims two wins over weekend

| Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Notre Dame women’s club soccer team had its first home game of the season Saturday against Bradley, rolling to a 6-1 victory.

The Irish went down early against Bradley, committing a foul in the penalty area in just the second minute of play that gave Bradley a penalty kick. Junior goalkeeper Caroline Corsones made a diving attempt, but Bradley put it away to go ahead, 1-0.

The Irish quickly rebounded, going on the offensive and tying up the game a minute later. Sophomore forward Destiny Anamege found senior forward Mary Wickert through the middle with a pass and Wickert scored to tie the game, 1-1.

Not long after the goal, sophomore midfielder Maggie Blaha played a ball through to Anamege, who followed through with the finish, putting the Irish up 2-1 in the ninth minute. Anamege and Blaha connected again in the 10th minute to give the Irish a two-goal lead.

Up 3-1, the Irish were silent for the rest of the half but added to their lead in the second stanza. In the 62nd minute, sophomore midfielder Rachel Staud played a through ball to sophomore forward Rosie Biehl who scored her first goal of the game, putting the Irish up 4-1.

Two minutes later, senior defender Erin Doone played a ball over Bradley’s defensive line and Wickert chased it down to score her second goal of the game.

To finish off the scoring, sophomore midfielder Kimi Luttrell scored off of a corner from sophomore midfielder Maddie McCormick in the 80th minute, securing the 6-1 win.

Fresh off the win against Bradley, the Irish traveled to Northwestern on Sunday. The first half of play was marked by strong Irish possession and defense, but the team was unable to convert any of its chances for the first 20 minutes.

Finally in the 25th minute, junior forward Jess Smetana connected with sophomore defender Blessing Atanmo on a corner to put the Irish up 1-0.

In the second half, the Irish scored two goals quickly in the 51st and 54th minutes, both coming from Anamege. The first goal started when freshman midfielder Sasha Meyer split the defense to find the open Anamege. Shortly after, Anamege combined with Wickert for her fourth goal of the weekend.

The Wildcats finally managed a goal in the 89th minute from the top of the 18-yard box that was placed just beyond the reach of Corsones, but the game ended 3-1 in favor of the Irish.

Overall, Notre Dame came out of the weekend with two wins, outscoring their opponents 9-2.

About Special to The Observer

Contact Special to The Observer