-

-

A great day to be Notre Dame

| Tuesday, October 28, 2014

After wandering trance-like around the Florida State University campus for three hours after the game, I had every reason to feel disappointed or ticked off, pull out my hair in frustration or a combination thereof. Every right.

Yet I didn’t. Instead, as I sat by one of the fountains on campus, I couldn’t help but have a slight smile on my face. True, the outcome was not what I had travelled over 1,400 miles to witness, but I couldn’t help but see the big picture. Two things stuck out to me. First, I was fortunate enough to witness such a good college football game.

And second, I could not have been more proud of Notre Dame. We beat Florida State in everything that day: fans, band, pride and, arguably, football.

Talking with friends who watched the game on TV, everyone said there didn’t seem to be many Notre Dame fans there. What they don’t realize is FSU scattered us all over. Perhaps this was meant to weaken the unity of our cheering. If so, it failed. From the moment the team in white came out of the tunnel, chants of “Let’s go Irish!” were taken up all across the southeast corner of the stadium. There were times Florida State fans around me looked confused and helpless, the FSU band unable to overpower us enough to get that weird chop thing going in a vain attempt to drown us out.

Our band, on the other hand?

Let me put it this way: after only the first Notre Dame touchdown, one female Seminole fan, visibly upset, complained, “Do they ever stop?!”

No. No they don’t, Ms. Seminole.

After the game, grizzled Seminole fans shook my hand and said even against Florida or Miami they had never seen anything like our fans in spirit, volume or number.

I have come to realize that we put a scare in Florida State hearts Saturday; we made an impression they never expected coming in. We came into their house and hit them in the mouth, refusing to be overpowered in the stands, through the sound waves and, most definitively, on the gridiron. So, as the FSU faithful filed out of the stadium relieved — some to their cars, others to bars and frat parties — I couldn’t help but smile with pride at what Notre Dame, collectively, had done.

Well that, and the thought of how great it’s going to feel when we smash them in the playoffs.

About Zach Klonsinski

A senior History major, Zach resides in Knott Hall. Hailing from Belgrade, Montana, he has covered a wide variety of sports in his time at Notre Dame, including Football, Men's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Women's Tennis, Fencing, Rowing, Women's Lacrosse and other events around campus.

Contact Zach