Irish seeking to rebound over weekend

After a tough series of road losses against Virginia and Virginia Tech last weekend, Notre Dame will look to rebound this weekend against Georgia Tech on Friday at Purcell Pavilion, before hitting the road for a Sunday matchup with Boston College in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.

Irish freshman middle blocker Sam Fry goes up for a serve during Notre Dame’s 3-1 loss to TCU on Sept. 12 at Purcell Pavilion.
Wei Lin | The Observer
Wei Lin | The Observer
The Irish (5-16, 2-8 ACC) face off against the Yellow Jackets (10-13, 3-7 ACC) for the fourth time in school history. In last year’s matchup, Notre Dame's first as an ACC member, the Irish took a commanding 3-0 sweep against Georgia Tech, giving the Irish their first ACC victory.

Notre Dame dropped matches to both Virginia and Virginia Tech last weekend. The Irish, who struggled against the Hokies on offense, were swept 3-0 Friday. In a quick, turnaround game Saturday, Notre Dame kept close with Virginia early, but ultimately lost in a five-set match to the Cavaliers. Overall, the Irish have lost six of their last seven matches.

The Yellow Jackets are coming off a 3-2 home loss against North Carolina on Sunday, where they held a 2-0 lead before the Tar Heels came back to win three consecutive sets.

The Irish face off against the Yellow Jackets at 7 p.m. Friday at Purcell Pavilion. The team flies out to Chestnut Hill Massachusetts, the next morning for Sunday’s match against Boston College (8-12, 3-6 ACC).

The Eagles, who were thwarted on the road by NC State in 3-1 loss last weekend, will face Notre Dame for the second time in three weeks. In their matchup Oct. 19, the Irish took command at home, overcoming a 2-0 deficit to take their second win in October and move to 3-7 at home this season. Senior Jeni Houser, graduate student Nicole Smith and freshman Sam Fry all recorded double figures in kills in the match. Fry tied her season-high of nine blocks as well.

Last year, the Irish and the Eagles posted a similar result Nov. 9, as Notre Dame came back from a two-set deficit to win on the road. Later in the season, the squad defeated Boston College, 3-1, at home Nov. 29. The Eagles are the only team Notre Dame collected two wins against in 2013.

Notre Dame will match up against the Eagles at Power Gym in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, on Sunday at noon.