Morrissey looks to stay perfect

Morrissey will look to extend its undefeated start to the season Sunday afternoon at Riehle Fields against division foe Siegfried.

The Manor (2-0) are coming off of a blowout victory over Duncan last week when they shut out the Highlanders, 28-0.

“We were firing on all cylinders,” junior captain and running back Erik Rayno said of his team’s performance. “We only gave up three first downs and moved the ball efficiently on offense.”

The Manor hope to continue their success on both sides of the ball Sunday, something Siegfried (1-1) has struggled to do. Prior to having a bye week last week, the Ramblers offense failed to score in a 9-0 loss to Alumni. However, junior captain and receiver Grady Schmidt said part of the disappointing offensive effort could have been a result of the Ramblers not being at full strength.

“[Against Alumni] we were missing a lot players,” Schmidt said. “So I’m kind of blaming the loss on that.”

Although the Ramblers have yet to get the offensive production they have wanted, they have been successful on the other side of the ball.

“The strength of our team is definitely our defense and how we stop the run,” Schmidt said. “We are going to look to continue that on Sunday.”

The Ramblers are led by Schmidt, junior quarterback Spencer Judd, sophomore running back Dan Verzuh and sophomore receiver Darren Quinn.

Key contributors for the Manor include Rayno, senior quarterback Ryan Lindquist and junior running back Hunter White.

The result of the matchup Sunday could be significant for the division standings and the playoff hopes of both squads. For the Manor, a win Sunday would secure their place in the playoffs. As for the Ramblers, a win would tie them with Morrissey and give them the tiebreaker should both teams finish with identical records at the end of the season.

The game’s implications are not changing the strategy for undefeated Morrissey, however.

“Our game plan is not too much different [than in previous games],” Rayno said. “[Siegfried] always plays tough.”

Morrissey and Siegfried will kick off Sunday at 2:15 p.m. at Stepan Fields.

Interhall 10_10 graphic WEB
Susan Zhu