-

-

Women’s Interhall

Pyros hold on to beat Phoxes, stay undefeated

| Monday, October 13, 2014

Pasquerilla East held on against a late Pangborn offensive drive to complete its undefeated regular season with a 14-6 victory on Sunday.

The Pyros (6-0) opened the game with aggressive defensive backfield play that led to an early interception to halt the first Pangborn (4-1) drive of the day. From there, freshman running back Sidney Boll converted to culminate a fast-paced drive that had Pangborn’s defense on its heels early.

Pangborn’s defense quickly recovered, though. The defensive unit regained its resolve and slowed the lightning-fast Pyros offense, thanks to the play of their defensive line. Junior defensive linesman Molly Cullinen led the Pangborn line. She contributed two of her four sacks during the first half and helped prevent the Pyros from scoring again for the rest of the half.

The third quarter began with a rapid push from an invigorated Pangborn offense. The sudden change in tempo thwarted the Pasquerilla East defense, leading to a quarterback scramble that yielded Pangborn’s only points of the game. However, the Pyros roared back, airing out the football and reasserting their lead despite tight coverage by the Pangborn secondary.

Belles sophomore forward Liza Felix holds off a Trine defender  during the Belles’ 1-0 home win over the Thunder on Oct. 4.Caroline Genco

Belles sophomore forward Liza Felix holds off a Trine defender
during the Belles’ 1-0 home win over the Thunder on Oct. 4.

Boll stressed the importance of the team dynamic in the Pyro’s win.

“We just go out as a team pretty much every game,” Boll said. “[We] try to work together and make the plays we needed to … we were a little faster than [the Pangborn defense] today.”

Despite the loss, Pangborn displayed its defensive prowess.

“It took us a while to figure out their set up because it was different from what we expected,” Cullinen said of Pasquerilla East’s early driving score. “Once [the defense] got it, [it was] a lot more cohesive and could work together a lot better.”

Boll and the Pyros concluded their regular season an undefeated 6-0 and now await the beginning of the postseason.

The Phoxes will conclude their regular season against Ryan on Nov. 2 at 4 p.m. at LaBar Practice Fields.

About Brett O'Connell

Contact Brett