SMC grabs 3-1 victory

Saint Mary’s won its second conference match in a row as it claimed a 3-1 win over Albion on Wednesday.

The Belles (9-8, 6-5 MIAA) opened the match with two dominating wins, taking the first set, 25-14, and the second, 25-20.

Saint Mary's struggled in the third set of the match, falling into an early 10-3 hole. The Belles bounced back against the Britons (3-17, 1-10) and roared back to a 21-20 lead before ultimately losing the set, 27-29.

The Belles wasted no time in establishing their presence in the fourth and final set. They quickly established a 17-7 advantage over a faltering Albion squad, ultimately clinching the match with a 25-14 victory in the set.

Junior outside hitter Katie Hecklinski powered her team to victory with a match-high 16 kills, and the team attacked by committee while racking up 48 total assists in the four sets.

“[Hecklinski is] very consistent, defensively and offensively,” Belles coach Toni Elyea said. “[She’s] brought a lot of fire to the last couple of matches we’ve had.”

The team now heads to Elmhurst, Illinois, for the Elmhurst Tournament, followed by a series of away games before finally returning home Oct. 28.

Elyea said the time spent away from the Belles' home court has been beneficial for the team and the staff.

“We’ve been doing well on the road,” Elyea said. “We have more time to get homework done on the bus, and it has helped us to get closer together as a team.”

The Belles begin play in the Elmhurst Tournament against St. Olaf on Friday.