Baraka Bouts wrap up

Amanda “Boxing Panda” Leung def. Casey “C My Fists” Gelchoin 

Senior Amanda Leung and sophomore Casey Gelchoin pushed it to the limit in a nail-biting final bout. Gelchoin landed blows mainly to the sides of Leung’s head. Leung was conservative in the frequency of her punches, focusing primarily on defense. At the end of the first round, the fight was at a standstill. By the second round, Leung dominated the ring, pushing Gelchoin to the edge of the ring with a series of jab and uppercut combinations. Although Gelchoin delivered an impressive final blow in the third round, it wasn’t enough to outshine Leung’s performances in the second and third rounds. Leung secured the victory by split decision.

Senior Amanda “Boxing Panda” Leung connects on a jab to the body while absorbing a shot to the side of the head during her semifinal victory over sophomore Mia “The Hulk” Hogan-Davis on Tuesday night. Leung won her final against Casey “C My Fists” Gelchoin in a split decision Friday night at the Joyce Center Fieldhouse.

Victoria Janssen def. Elizabeth “Striker” Strehlow

Junior Victoria Janssen demonstrated her speed as she started the first round with a flurry of jabs against sophomore Elizabeth Strehlow, who retaliated with defensive body shots. By the second round, Janssen added to her advantage by landing successive combinations while moving swiftly across the ring. Strehlow kept the fight close at the end of the second round with a powerful right jab, but Janssen stayed consistent through the third round, and her agility contributed to her victory by unanimous decision.

Grace “In Your Face” Choe def. Erin “The Fighting Meerkat” O’Brien 

In one of the most aggressive first rounds of the bouts, Junior Grace Choe broke out with uppercut and jab combinations against senior captain Erin O’Brien, who matched Choe’s combinations with equally powerful blows. As the first round ended, Choe pushed O’Brien to the edge of the ring. During the second round, Choe aimed her punches at O’Brien’s abdominal while O’Brien focused on uppercuts to the head. The fight was fast-paced, featuring constant movement across the ring. In the third round, Choe landed more jab and uppercut combinations and secured the victory by unanimous decision.

Dionne Sandoval def. Liz “Beast from the East” Zolper

The first round started with a bang as senior Dionne Sandoval pounded senior captain Liz Zolper with sharp jabs. With Sandoval relentlessly throwing jabs and body shots, Zolper focused on defense. In the middle of the first round, Sandoval slowed the pace of her punches, giving Zolper a chance to fight back. In the second round, Sandoval regained her energy and landed a series of hooks while Zolper used one hand to block Sandoval’s advances and the other to retaliate. At one point in the second round, Zolper forced Sandoval against the edge of the ring, but in the third round, Sandoval came out strong once again, earning the victory by unanimous decision.

Katie Martin def. Allison “Knockdown” McKown 

Junior Katie Martin came out strong in the first round, landing a series of blows against senior Allison McKown. McKown responded by drawing back and waiting until Martin briefly paused between combinations before retaliating. A similar pattern transpired during the second round with Martin continuing to throw jabs and uppercuts and McKown focusing on defense. Midway through the round, Martin threw a powerful triple-jab-uppercut-jab combination, unsettling McKown and causing the referee to pause the fight. Martin continued to control the fight into the third round when she threw increasingly more direct body shots. Martin took the bout by unanimous decision.

Shannon Hagedorn def. Elizabeth “The Tiny Texan” Vista

Height proved to be a deciding factor in this bout between sophomore Elizabeth Vista and senior Shannon Hagedorn. In the first round, the smaller Vista executed multiple body shots but was no match against the powerful hooks to the face by Hagedorn. As Hagedorn focused on punches to the face and sides of the head, Vista’s headgear repeatedly shifted, resulting in multiple temporary stops in the fight during the first and second round. In the middle of the second round, Hagedorn threw an aggressive blow to Vista’s head, causing her to stumble and the referee to end the bout, giving Hagerdorn the victory.

Megan “Ferocious" Fuerst def. Sam “I Am” Davies 

Senior Megan Fuerst and sophomore Sam Davies began the matchup with different fight strategies. The taller Fuerst focused on hooks to the head while the shorter Davies went for body shots. In the first round, Davies came out strong, but Fuerst's defensive tactics gained her the advantage toward the end of the first round when she managed to get Davies on the ropes. Fuerst demonstrated her consistency in the second and third rounds, during which she executed many double jab-cross combinations to secure the victory by unanimous decision.

Senior Val “Valiswag” Williams unleashes a hook during her unanimous decision victory over sophomore Mercedes “Merciless” De la Rosa in the semifinal round Tuesday night in Joyce Center Fieldhouse.
Kevin Sabitus | The Observer
Hannah “The Mean Slovene” Skrbis def. Nikki Murgas

Junior Hannah Skrbis started energetically against fellow junior Nikki Murgas, delivering the first punches of the bout while bounding around the ring. At one point, Skrbis held Murgas’ head with one glove while punching with the other, causing the referee to stop the fight temporarily. Murgas retaliated with five-punch combinations and body shots that pushed Skrbis against the edge of the ring. In the second round, Skrbis went for tighter punches aimed at the sides of Murgas’ head. In the third round, Skrbis managed to push Murgas to the edge of the ring for the fourth time during the matchup. Approaching the end of the final round, Skrbis delivered a last body shot and took the bout by unanimous decision.

Emma “Drop, Lock and” Popovich def. Jessie “Cold as Ice” Frio 

Sophomore Jessie Frio started off her bout against junior Emma Popovich with an explosion of wild punches that Popovich dodged. In the first round, Popovich was the more active fighter, moving freely around the ring. The second round had a slow start, with Frio forcing Popovich against the edge of a ring with a jab-uppercut-jab combination. Popovich regained her advantage in the third round where she notably landed six-punch combinations of uppercuts, forcing Frio to draw back to the edge of the ring. As Popovich continued to throw jab after jab, she secured the victory by unanimous decision.

Rachel "The Filly From Philly" Nave def. Joy "To Your Face" Choe

Freshman Joy Choe used feet her feet to escape early pressure from graduate student Rachel Nave, but Choe momentarily found herself cornered by Nave without a chance to counter. The second round started with a flurry from Choe although Nave countered with a few shots of her own. The fighters became more defensive in the late stages of the second round, but Choe landed several punches. In the third round, Choe continued to use her footwork to keep her distance from Nave and eventually won by unanimous decision.

Kaley "Let's Get" Cohen def. Maggi "Magi" Long 

The fighters opened defensively, with both blocking and dodging their opponents' attacks. Junior Maggi Long was on the offense for most of the first round, but sophomore Kaley Cohen’s defense kept her in the fight. Towards the end of the first round, Cohen launched a counterattack, starting with a left hook. In the second round, Cohen started more aggressively and landed some punches while continuing to dodge Long’s attempts. Both fighters began the third round aggressively and landed quick flurries before Cohen used her footwork and right hook to ensure Long could not get close. Long landed a late flurry of punches just before the final bell, but it was not enough to prevent Cohen winning by unanimous decision.

Rebecca “Brick House” Hauserman def. Kristin “Powerhouse” Pieczynski

Sophomore Rebecca Hauserman landed strong punches and dodged several of Kristin Pieczynski’s efforts before landing a flurry of her own in the first round. Pieczynski attempted to keep Hauserman at bay with her longer reach, but Hauserman kept close enough to connect. Pieczynski fought more effectively in the second round, deflecting Hauserman's shots and landing several punches of her own. The second round ended with both fighters defending carefully, but the pace changed in the third as each fighter attempted aggressive flurries. Among the punches that landed, Hauserman connected on a powerful right hook. As the fight slowed down again, Pieczynski appeared to gain an advantage, but Housermann had one last counterpunch before the final bell and won by split decision.

Maggie "Monogram” McGovern def. Katie “House” Heussman

Sophomore Maggie McGovern landed several flurries early in the first round. Junior Katie Heussman responded by pushing McGovern onto the ropes before McGovern rallied . The second round started slowly, but an attempt at a hook by Heussman opened her up to a counter by McGovern. She put Heussmann on the ropes and delivered a powerful left hook at end of the second round. Heussmann found herself cornered again in the third round, absorbing multiple hooks from McGovern. As the third round came to an end, McGovern showed off her footwork on her way to securing the unanimous victory.

Senior Ava Stachelski, left, is declared the winner by unanimous decision after her semifinal bout with junior Caitlyn Beauchamp on Tuesday night at Joyce Center Fieldhouse.
Kevin Sabitus | The Observer
Shannon "The Glimmer" Bugos def. Ava "Ze Número Uno Homie" Stachelski

The first round started very carefully, as both fighters landed only occasional punches. Junior Shannon Bugos appeared to be landing more of her punches, but the fight remained close well into the second round. Towards the end of the round, Bugos took a clear advantage, landing a flurry of punches at the end of the round. In the beginning of the third round, senior Ava Stachelski dodged most of Burgos’s punches, and after some impressive footwork from each fighter, Stachelski managed to connect on several big hits just before bell. This was still not enough for the win, though, as Burgos took the bout by unanimous decision.

Junior Shannon Bugos, right, stares down sophomore Ellen McCourt during their semifinal bout Tuesday night at Joyce Center Fieldhouse. Bugos won the fight by unanimous decision.
Rosie Biehl | The Observer
Kathryn "The Kicker" Thompson def. Morgan McCann

Senior Morgan McCann started the fight on the offensive and landed an early flurry of punches, but a strong right hook from sophomore Kathryn Thompson proved to be a turning point for her rally in the first round. Each fighter started the second round aggressively, and despite Thompson’s attempts to dodge, McCann landed several punches. Again, though, a powerful Thompson right hook altered momentum as she backed McCann toward the ropes. McCann counterattacked, but early in the third round, Thompson connected with another right hook, and although McCann defended effectively for the rest of the fight, Thompson won by unanimous decision.

Caitlin "Champ" Zeiler def. Kim "Kimbo Slice” Smith

Senior Kim Smith forced senior Caitlin Zeiler onto the ropes early in the first round. Zeiler tried to escape using her feet, but Smith landed several punches. Both boxers fought defensively in the second round, but Zeiler broke out with a flurry that pushed Smith onto ropes. The fight slowed later in the round as Zeiler turned Smith away with her long reach. Neither fighter gained an advantage in the third round until Zeiler connected on a combination on her way to securing the victory.

Tori "The Terror" White def. Therese “The Beast” Cushing

Sophomore Therese Cushing using her long reach to keep senior Tori White at bay, but White pushed through and connected on an impressive uppercut. Cushing dictated the pace of the fight, but White was able to keep landing punches and launched a counterattack from the ropes. Cushing kept White from getting inside late in the second round before White again got close enough to land right hooks. White continued dodging and making moves inside in the third round as she won by unanimous decision.

Colby "Hammer Down" Hoyer def. Shannon Hodges

Molly Allare def. Maeve Donovan

Val "Valliswag" Williams def. Ali Gibson

Rachel Francis def. Jenna Ivan