Game Notes: Golson sets career-highs in turnovers, yards

TEMPE, Arizona  — Senior quarterback Everett Golson set a number of career highs in Notre Dame's 55-31 loss to Arizona State. Golson threw for four interceptions, a single-game career high.  Furthermore, Golson's five turnovers marked the most in a single game in his college career. The Sun Devils became the first team to return two interceptions for touchdowns against Golson in his college career.  

With a fourth-quarter interception Saturday, the Irish defense has now picked off a pass in 12 consecutive games. It is the longest interception streak for Notre Dame's defense since 2001-02.

Yardage Despite the five turnovers, Golson threw for 446 yards.  It is the fifth-most passing yards in a single game in Notre Dame program history. The number is a single-game career-high for Golson, whose previous record was 362 passing yards against Syracuse on Sept. 27.  Golson has thrown for more than 300 yards in five of the last six games.

Irish senior running back Cam McDaniel snatches a pass from senior quarterback Everett Golson  during Notre Dame’s 55-31 loss to Arizona State on Saturday in Tempe, Arizona.
KARLA MORENO | The Observer
Irish senior running back Cam McDaniel snatches a pass from senior quarterback Everett Golson
during Notre Dame’s 55-31 loss to Arizona State on Saturday in Tempe, Arizona.
446 yards is the most a Notre Dame quarterback has thrown for since Jimmy Clausen threw for 452 yards in a 23-21 loss to Navy in 2009.

Notre Dame out gained the Sun Devils 487-412, including 314-164 in the second half.

Scoring The 55 points are the most the Irish have conceded in a contest since Miami scored 58 against them on Nov. 30, 1985.

Saturday was the third time this season the Irish and their opponent both scored at least 31 points.

The 17 points given up by Notre Dame in the first quarter are the most allowed since Michigan State went up 17-0 over the Irish on Sept. 16, 2006 in East Lansing, Michigan.

Miscellaneous If Notre Dame had been able to come back from a 34-3 deficit, it would have marked the second largest comeback in FBS football history. The largest comeback in FBS football history came in 2006, when Michigan State overcame a 35-point deficit to beat Northwestern, 41-38.

Irish sophomore tight end Durham Smythe caught his first career pass in the first quarter Saturday. Smythe's catch was a 7-yard reception on third-and-three from to give the Irish a first down on Notre Dame's first drive of the game. It was Smythe's  only catch of the game.

Irish senior running back Cam McDaniel had his first career multi-touchdown game.

Arizona State head coach Todd Graham became the fifth coach to beat Notre Dame at two different schools. Graham also defeated the Irish as the head coach of Tulsa in 2010.

Irish graduate student cornerback Cody Riggs did not play into Saturday's game due to a foot injury.