Irish split two over weekend

Trying to rebound from a home loss against Purdue last weekend, Notre Dame came out on top against Pittsburgh, 230-140, but fell to Virginia Tech, 198-172, in a double dual meet this weekend at Rolfs Aquatic Center.

The Irish (3-5) amassed 10 victories in two days of competition, with sophomore Catherine Mulquin and senior Emma Reaney leading the team. Mulquin and Reaney combined to claim seven individual victories for the Irish. The duo, alongside senior Courtney Whyte and junior Cat Galletti, opened up the meet by taking first place in the 200- and 400-yard medley relays.

Interim Irish coach Tim Welsh said he noticed Mulquin’s rapid emergence as a team leader and elite competitor. Mulquin took the top prizes in both the 50- and 100-yard freestyles as well as the 100-yard backstroke.

“[Catherine] has steadily become a faster swimmer and great team leader," Welsh said. "She works so incredibly hard and with focus and intensity daily. She knows how to give herself to a race in the same way Emma does. Catherine’s success has been well-earned.”

Reaney added to her collection of top prizes with wins in the 100-yard butterfly, 100- and 200-yard breaststrokes and 200-yard individual medley. The senior earned an NCAA B-cut in the 100 fly and 100 and 200 breast.

The eighth first-place finish for Notre Dame came from senior Allison Casareto, who won the 1-meter dive.

The Irish finished runner-up in several events as well. Mulquin, Galletti, senior Hannah Bowen and junior Genevieve Bradford took second place in both the 200-yard freestyle relay, and Reaney, Whyte, Mulquin and sophomore Elizabeth House grabbed the same place in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Junior Lindsey Streepey finished runner-up in the 1- and 3-meter dives. The Irish placed second and third in the 200 fly, with senior Bridget Casey recording a time of 2:02.60 and Whyte clocking in at 2:03.40.

Welsh said he saw his team improve over the course of the two-day meet.

“Several major positives emerged from this weekend, starting with swimming faster than we have all season,” Welsh said. “We have seen a steady progression of faster times across the board from week to week in event after event. Divers continued strong performances on both days, including a 1-2-3 finish on 1-meter board Friday. Also, we did a good job competing in back to back, evening-morning sessions, which previews challenges ahead in ACC Championship Meet in February.”

The Irish will close the home portion of their fall schedule on Friday, when they compete against Illinois at 5 p.m. in Rolfs Aquatic Center.