Isn't this a little early?

There was a moment, nary a few weeks ago, where I witnessed something that nearly broke my poor little brain. It was during fall break and I was with my dad shopping for home repair equipment at Home Depot, my dad's version of Toys R Us. The door opened and I was greeted with a most mind-shattering revelation.

No, it was not the fact that for the first time in my life I was actually looking forward to stepping inside a Home Depot, after having complained with religious fervor every time my dad dragged me there in the past, which was as clear-cut a sign I can think of that I am getting older. It wasn’t even the fact that when my dad started explaining the specific pieces we needed to get and where to find them that I was able to, for the first time in my life, offer constructive suggestions that went beyond nodding and going “Uh huh. Yeah, let’s get that. Ok.”

It was the sight of Christmas decorations on sale right in the front row of the store.

I saw these things and brushed it off at the time. Home Depot is a department store of sorts, after all, and it pays to be ahead of the curve. Also, there are a lot of cool projects one can do around the house for Christmas decorations! (Wait, that sounded like I’m turning into an adult.)

But the biggest shocker, the true moment that made time stand still, was right before the FSU and Notre Dame game — the game that we shall not speak of, lest we have fury towards Tallahassee. I went to get a Coca-Cola from the fridge, noting that it was a brand new pack from the store. I opened it up…

…and saw Jolly Old Santa Claus beaming back at me.

It was Oct. 18th.

Don’t get me wrong, Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year, and always fills me with a sense of warmth and happiness and, dare I say it, optimism. But at what point are we going to reach where we realize that we’re jumping the gun? Part of what makes Christmas so special (in addition to the obvious) is the fact that it doesn’t take up the entire calendar year. It builds up a sense of anticipation, and lets you really appreciate the little things that are so important — the things that make the holiday season special. Otherwise, you water it down and risk losing the magic that makes it such a special time of year.

Of course, I say this now as I fret over the fact Christmas has successfully overtaken Thanksgiving and is now coming for Halloween. But as soon as the food settles on Nov. 27th and I’m half watching football and half falling asleep I’ll probably start hearing Jingle Bells in my head.

…okay. I’ll do my best to wait until the very next day.