McGlinn ties Howard

McGlinn and Howard both entered Monday night’s game with a 2-3 record, and the squads walked off the field still evenly matched with identical 2-3-1 records, as they tied, 12-12.

Howard junior quarterback Stephanie Peterson cuts upfield during the Ducks' 21-19 loss to Pasquerilla East on Sept. 28.
Caroline Genco | The Observer
Caroline Genco | The Observer
After two promising drives stalled and resulted in turnovers on downs, Howard junior quarterback Stephanie Peterson led the Ducks down the field and scored the first touchdown of the game when she ran in untouched from about 10 yards out. The Ducks failed on the extra-point conversion, to take a 6-0 lead, which stayed that way for the rest of the first half.

McGlinn had the ball first after halftime, and senior quarterback Meaghan Hannon led the Shamrocks down the field for a touchdown thanks to three costly penalties committed by the Ducks. The Shamrocks failed to convert their extra-point conversion as well and the score remained 6-6 at the end of the third quarter.

Following a turnover on downs by Howard, McGlinn retained possession and scored on the very first play after junior receiver Maddy Sowar evaded defenders and streaked down the sideline for a Shamrock touchdown to make the score 12-6. The ensuing extra-point conversion was intercepted, and the score remained the same.

Howard responded to the McGlinn touchdown on the ensuing possession by driving down the field and scoring on a 20-yard touchdown reception by senior captain and receiver Claire Kozlowski. For the fourth consecutive time in the game, the conversion was unsuccessful and the Shamrocks got the ball at their own 20-yard line with a chance to win the game.

McGlinn was able to move the ball effectively as time ran out, but Howard finally dug in and stopped the Shamrocks at their own 30-yard line and regained possession with only 48 seconds to play. However, the Ducks failed to move the ball downfield and the game ended 12-12.

Because McGlinn allowed five less points than Howard on the season, its season lives on and it will enter the playoffs. On the other hand, Howard’s season comes to a bitter end, Kozlowski said.

Despite the fact that their season was over, Kozlowski said she was proud of the way her team fought throughout the game and the rest of the season as well.

“It was a great game, both teams definitely came to play because a lot was on the line,” Kozlowski said. “I think we gave it our all, it was a great season, and I’m excited for the years to come for this team.”

McGlinn senior captain Emma Collis was thrilled after the game, knowing that the outcome of the game resulted in a playoff berth for her team.

“I think this game against Howard showed us both our strengths and where we can improve,” Collis said. “We'll be working out the kinks this week so that we can deliver another great performance come the playoff games.”

McGlinn takes on unbeaten Welsh Family on Sunday at 5 p.m., at the Labar Practice Fields.