Police interview three men involved in crime report, find no evidence for abduction

After interviewing the student who reported a robbery and abduction last Saturday and the three men initially considered suspects, Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) said in a statement Tuesday evening there “was no evidence of an abduction” and insufficient evidence for an arrest on robbery charges.

According to the statement, “Notre Dame police interviewed the complainant and three other males involved in a reported robbery and abduction last weekend. The complainant did not enter their vehicle on campus, as he originally reported, but several miles away.”

The original report from NDSP said the male Notre Dame student reported a robbery that allegedly occurred around 2 a.m. Saturday morning. According to a crime alert NDSP sent Saturday afternoon, the student was approached by three men on Notre Dame Avenue between the Morris Inn and Holy Cross Drive.

The statement released Tuesday evening reported, “There was no evidence of an abduction and insufficient evidence to warrant an arrest on robbery or other charges. This case remains under investigation.”

NDSP released photos of the car and the men believed to be suspects Monday night while they were still considered “at large.”

The initial report stated: “One of the men got out of the vehicle and instructed the student to come with them. They demanded money and took the student to a gas station and a grocery store so he could get cash for them. They then brought the student back to campus. No gun was seen, but it was implied that at least one of the three men had a gun. The suspects were described as three black males wearing dark clothing.”