-

-

Students react to narrow victory over Navy

| Sunday, November 2, 2014

20141101, 2nd Half, 25, 20141101, Football, Jodi Lo, Navy, Tarean FolstonJodi Lo
In a game with a much closer final score than many initially predicted, Notre Dame defeated Navy with a final score of 49-39.

Irish senior quarterback Everett Golson accounted for a school-record six touchdowns – three passing, three rushing – as the Irish improved their record to 7-1.

Senior Connor Stacy said he expected the Midshipmen to play well, but knew the Irish would win.

“Navy always plays us tough,” he said. “I was pretty confident that we would pull it out in the end.”

Senior Blake Prunsky watched the game from the comfort of his own home as he celebrated his birthday with an Irish win.

“I only watched the first, second and fourth quarters, so from what I saw, the Irish played great.” he said. “Everett played like a Heisman-caliber quarterback today, and I’m confident we can win out.”

Junior Matt Castellini echoed Prunsky’s sentiment, saying he believed Golson played like a champion yesterday.

“He very much deserves to be in the Heisman conversation,” he said. “Big time players make big time plays. That’s what he does.”

Senior Dolff Hanke said he wonders if the team’s performance was based on Navy playing well or the Irish letting up against an unranked opponent.

“I’m not sure if we sometimes play down to our opponents or it’s simply that we struggle with Navy, but we need to realize that we have the potential to beat any team in the country,” he said.

The Irish have a tough schedule ahead, with matchups against ranked Arizona State and a rivalry game with USC.

Senior Alysa Kane, who watched the game from home, said she believes the Notre Dame defense may be bringing down the team.

“The offense played like a championship-caliber team, but the defense seems to be dragging the team down in recent games,” she said.

Junior Connor Brown said he believes the game was somewhat of a snoozer.

“I fell asleep during the first half after we went up big,” he said. “I woke up, and we’re losing in the third quarter.”

About Peter Durbin

Peter is a Junior Science-Business major from Prospect Heights, Illinois. He enjoys sports, music, and all things Quentin Tarantino.

Contact Peter
  • AZDomer

I graduated from Notre Dame back in the 90s and am from Arizona. The concern is with the ND defense – particularly against the pass. The middle linebacker who called the plays is lost for the season. The defensive secondary was the weak spot against FSU which is why the Noles won. I know the Pac-12 very well. ASU is going to go full-speed against ND much like Winston did in the 2nd half. ASU is much better than Stanford which nearly beat ND at South Bend. Louisville, which was up 21-0 against FSU at one point, is coming up after that. So is USC which beat Stanford. The football games in November don’t look good for my undergraduate Alma Mater and the playoff will likely be missed. But I do hope to attend the ND women’s soccer game or basketball game here in FL when they are playing locally. I live in FL now. The ND women’s basketball team is expected to win the ACC. I hope the ND women’s soccer team beats FSU this Friday. I witnessed the ND women beat FSU at Tallahassee back in 2009 for the soccer playoffs. Meanwhile, I think ND football is going downhill from here. That pass defense has reached its peak now that injuries have accumulated. Back in the day Andre Jones would have successfully led a defensive ND rally against ASU like he did in Tempe against West Virginia in 1989. May he rest in peace.