-

-

scene

The 12 Days of Classes

| Tuesday, December 2, 2014

DaysofClasses_WEBEMILY DANAHER | The Observer
It’s that time of the year again — no, not the holiday season — that time between Thanksgiving break and Winter break, the three weeks that seem to feel like a whole semester in itself. We students get a tiny taste of vacation and egg nog, then it’s back to the final grind.

One year, during this purgatory we call December, I resorted to listening to Christmas music nonstop, just to motivate myself during the final stretch. This behavior was particularly unusual because of my general distaste for holiday songs and radio stations that play Bing Crosby from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day.

But these last few days of classes don’t have to be miserable. This year, perhaps inspired by bubbling holiday cheer, I’ve resolved to enjoy them instead.

So, here’s a different kind of advent calendar — one with a lowercase “a” — counting down to the arrival of finals week. Treat yourself to the events and all things seasonal on and around campus, and celebrate these last 12 days before exams.

Wednesday, Dec. 3 – If you haven’t found your way to a Spoken Word ND open mic or poetry slam event, now is your chance. Hear students perform original poetry and compete for a cash prize. Bring your friends and $3 for a ticket to Washington Hall Lab Theatre.

Thursday, Dec. 4 – Hit up the Humor Artists’ last show of the semester at Legends at 11 p.m. The student group is putting on “HAccidentally in LHAve,” a “tribute to the music of ‘Shrek,’” so dig up those old soundtracks and relive your childhood CD collection.

Friday, Dec. 5 – Cheer on your talented friends and classmates at the signature event “Asian Allure,” this year titled, “There and Back Again,” put on by the Asian American Association. Incorporating dance and music performances and fashion showcasing Asian cultures, the event is a fantastic way to spend a pre-finals weekend. “Asian Allure” will take place in Washington Hall on Friday at 7 p.m. (and Saturday at 4 p.m.).

Saturday, Dec. 6 – There’s nothing more comforting in a time of stress than a canine friend, so check out the “Reindog Parade” in downtown South Bend at 11 a.m. That’s right­ — a parade of dogs will be trotting through the city, followed by a costume contest that includes the category “Best Puppy.” This can’t be missed. And afterwards, head on back to Legends at 10 p.m. to catch comedian Justine Marino because there’s no better way to fight off end-of-semester stress than with a few laughs.

Sunday, Dec. 7 – Get in the holiday spirit by catching the Christmas classic, “It’s a Wonderful Life,” at 3 p.m. in DPAC. Then call your family and tell them hello in the midst of Jimmy Stewart-inspired sentimentality.

Monday, Dec. 8 – Take advantage of the lull in end-of-semester events today to do something festive, whether it’s baking cookies (or just eating all the ones your RA bakes) or ugly sweater shopping for those Christmas parties waiting just on the other side of finals.

Tuesday, Dec. 9 – If you haven’t stopped by the Snite yet this year, take advantage of the Snite Salon series at 5 p.m.

Wednesday, Dec. 10 – In case you missed Sunday’s classic Christmas movie, you can catch another. “White Christmas” will be playing at DPAC at 7 p.m.

Thursday, Dec. 11 – Classes are over, and only finals week lies ahead. Celebrate and find your center with Mindful Meditation in Coleman-Morse at 5:15 p.m.

Friday, Dec. 12 – It’s the first day of study days, so do yourself a favor and just sleep in.

Saturday, Dec. 13 – What better way to close out your semester than with a concert by the Notre Dame Glee club? The student group will be performing at 12, 3:30 and 8:30 p.m in DPAC.

Sunday, Dec. 14 – Finals may be starting the next day, but if you need to blow off some steam, swing by Compton during its public skate time. From 3-4:50 p.m., bring some friends and skate your hearts out.

Tags:

About Allie Tollaksen

Scene Editor. Senior studying Psychology and dabbling in everything else.

Contact Allie