ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas

25Days_WEB
EMILY DANAHER | The Observer
EMILY DANAHER | The Observer
Finally, it’s that time of year again; Thanksgiving is over, December has begun and the weather is oh-so delightful (or not so delightful if you are opposed to below-freezing temperatures and frostbite). Dec. 1 marked not only the first day you were able to open the first door in your Advent calendar and find a surprise inside; it also marked the start of the famous 25 Days of Christmas on ABC Family. This means that every day for the next three and a half weeks, ABC Family will air a classic Christmas movie to get everyone in the holiday spirit. It’s like they knew it was finals season and that Notre Dame students would be looking for any and every reason to procrastinate, how kind of them.

Here are the must-see movies playing over the 25 Days of Christmas on ABC Family; set your DVR because you won’t want to miss a single one.

“Elf”

This one pretty much speaks for itself. I mean, is it really December if you haven’t watched “Elf” yet and quoted every single line? Bonus points for acting out scenes (the mall elevator, “SANTA’S COMING!”, spaghetti with syrup, etc.). Perhaps consider investing in a Buddy the Elf costume for your next Christmas-themed party.

“Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas”

Based on the classic Dr. Seuss book, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” this 2000 film starring a very hairy and green Jim Carrey epitomizes Christmas. Between the elaborate, cartoon-like set of Whoville and the adorable Cindy Lou (played by a much younger and much less eye-lined Taylor Momsen), this movie will get you in the Christmas spirit and maybe even bring a few tears (the classroom flashback scene gets me every time).

“Disney’s A Christmas Carol”

Now this is a newer addition to the list, as it just came out in 2009 and has yet to reach the list of classics. However, it is telling a classic Christmas story, so it must be included on the list. Jim Carrey is at it again, playing the cranky Ebenezer Scrooge as well as the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future.

“The Polar Express”

This movie will take you back to your childhood; an animated form of the children’s book by Chris Van Allsburg, “The Polar Express” is a heartwarming tale about belief and growing up.

“Home Alone”

Every 90s kid knows this story inside and out; the Christmas movie list simply would not be complete without the iconic face of Macaulay Culkin, screaming as he runs away from robbers (no wonder all kids are scared to stay home alone … don’t think this would fly in our day and age as a children’s movie).

“The Santa Clause”

Even though there are two more films in this series, the original is all that really matters. Tim Allen kills it playing the absent, divorced dad turned Santa Claus and hero of Christmas. Didn’t we all want our dads to turn into Santa after this 1994 Christmas classic?

“Frosty’s Winter Wonderland”

Now this one goes way back — all the way to 1976, in fact (hence the terrible yet lovable animation). The jolly Christmas tune “Frosty The Snowman” comes to life in this adorable animated “film” (run time of 25 minutes) — a longtime tradition for the Christmas season.

“Toy Story 3”

Ok, I have no idea why this is included in the 25 Days of Christmas, but it simply must be on this list. The tear-jerking finale (well, not anymore because of the proposed "Toy Story 4") to the beloved Toy Story series might as well be added to the Christmas movie canon; in the least, it is yet another reminder to never grow up and to treat your toys nicely.

Honorable Mention: The "Harry Potter" Series

For some reason, these movies always seem to sneak their way into the Christmas season, I suppose for the one Christmas feast scene. Even though they also play at every other time of the year on ABC Family, why not give them another watch while you have the time during finals week?