-

-

Cable failure causes power outage

| Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Late Sunday night, a cluster of buildings concentrated on the south side of South Quad, including four dorms, lost power for around four hours, according to University spokesman Dennis Brown. Students confirmed Carroll Hall also lost power.

“At approximately 10:20 p.m. Sunday, a failed piece of cable led to a power outage in 11 buildings: St. Joseph Hall, Columba Hall, Holy Cross Annex, [the] Rockne [Memorial], Lyons, West Lake Hall, Fisher, Pangborn, Dillon, Alumni and a small portion of Fitzpatrick Engineering,” Brown said. “The failed section of cable was isolated and service restored to the first three facilities by approximately 2 a.m. and the balance of facilities by approximately 2:20 a.m.

Brown said there was “no relation” between this power outage and other minor outages this semester or the nearly campus-wide blackout Feb. 27.

“Permanent repairs are forthcoming,” he said. “… Once repairs are made, there likely will be a very short, scheduled outage at some point in the future to restore the system to its normal configuration. The timing for that will be communicated to building managers, rectors and others.”

Tags:

About Lesley Stevenson

Lesley Stevenson is a senior news writer for The Observer after previously serving as News Editor and an Assistant Managing Editor. She is a senior from Memphis, Tennessee, studying Film, Television and Theatre (FTT) and American Studies and living in Breen-Phillips Hall. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @lcstevenson, and visit her website at lcstevenson.wordpress.com

Contact Lesley