Sunday, May 12, 2024

Crop tops and Kanye: The fashion of 2014

CropTops_WEB
Emily Danaher
Emily Danaher
In 2014 normcore was the norm. Everyone from The New York Times to Gap had a stance on the trend that incorporated a dad-esque wardrobe of tennis shoes, baggy light-wash jeans, neutrals and t-shirts into a high-fashion movement. Perhaps the effect of Ezra Koenig’s legendary “cool dad” Twitter movement, girls everywhere were thrifting overalls, ditching skinny jeans for a pair of their boyfriend’s jeans and wearing socks with heels. Guys at Notre Dame kept wearing sweatshirts and jeans with sneakers and unintentionally capitalized on the trend.

Another trend that capitalized on the demand for fashionable comfort was the sporty movement fueled by the Alexander Wang X H&M collaboration. Rihanna, Leandre Medine, Solange Knowles, Jessica Chastain, Kate Mara, Mary J Blige, Beyonce and Eddie Redmayne have all been spotted in the viral gym-meets-runway collection.

Kanye West, who sat front row at Wang’s spring/summer 2014 show embodies the high-fashion takeover of high-school jock attire. In one of many memorable quotes from his GQ exclusive, he divulged how this trend could have topped 2008s list instead of 2014s.

“Whether I'm at a dinner with Anna Wintour, or I'm at a listening session with Pusha, or me and Virgil are in Rome giving designs to Fendi over and over and getting our designs knocked down," the rapper said.

"We brought the leather jogging pants six years ago to Fendi, and they said, 'No.' How many mothers you done seen with a jogging pant?"

Although the answer to West’s question is probably zero on Notre Dame’s campus, students can capitalize on less expensive — and less Bieberish — fashionable sportswear styles. For example, joggers — sweatpants that are tighter around the ankles — in heathered or black (no gray please — we can’t risk "groutfits") versions can replace those sweatpants you bought at the Bookstore because they resembled issue gear. The trend has girls rocking Jordans with leather or mesh-paneled leggings instead of the same old Lululemon versions. Scuba material, perforated accents and cut-outs all contribute to the sporty trend.

Although it may be 2014, this year saw the return of retro 1950s styles. In tune with this year’s announcement of a “Twin Peaks” third season, we saw the revival of full skirts, plaid and turtlenecks while midi skirts — skirts that skim below the knee, usually in a fuller silhouette – replaced mini skirts.

However don’t rejoice yet, grandma: while skirts have lengthened, shirts have shortened. That’s right, perhaps topping this year’s trend list: the crop top.

The year in fashion harkened back to the '90s for inspiration, as we saw chokers, slip dresses and as much midriff as we had since Britney Spears’s “… Baby One More Time” music video. This year we also saw Taylor Swift just become a singing, world-dominating human crop top.

This trend was heightened when worn as a matching set. Whether you wore a printed shirt and skirt combo posing as a versatile sundress, a metallic shirt and shorts combo creating a sultry out-on-the town look or a monochrome top and pant set posing as a youthful version of a power suit, this trend’s popularity and versatility could not be matched. It was basically the best thing to happen to your closet since you got rid of your favorite reversible shirt in fourth grade.

Moving out of the clothes realm and onto hair, another short trend that cropped up everywhere in 2014 was the bob. Human crop top Taylor Swift, along with Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone and Lily Collins all committed to shorter dos.

While women were cutting their hair, men were attempting to grow their hair out long enough to wear the esteemed “mun” (man bun) after Jared Leto’s locks won an Oscar.

Guys embodied the all-American lumberjack look of these buns with corduroy or denim Sherpa-lined jackets, denim shirts and Carharrt workwear. Celebrities like Jake Gyllenhall, Penn Badgely, Bradley Cooper and Harry Styles have all been trying out this hairy style.

Now that we've looked back at 2014, it's time we keep our eyes out for the tastes and trends of that will define the upcoming year. But don't throw away your joggers and dad jeans just yet.