-

-

Hockey

Carson: ND left on outside in Hockey East

| Tuesday, January 27, 2015

When conference realignment came to the college hockey world a few years ago, Notre Dame had a decision to make. The conference the Irish had been a member of for the better part of 20 years, the CCHA, was folding at the end of the 2013 season due to the impending departures of Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State to the newly-established Big Ten hockey conference.

The CCHA was, in many ways, a great league for the Irish. They had natural, cross-sport rivals in the Wolverines and Spartans and developed strong on-ice duels with teams like Western Michigan and Miami (Ohio). But unfortunately, that had to come to an end.

On Oct. 5, 2011, Notre Dame officially joined Hockey East. It was touted as a great move for the Irish program — I surely heard the phrase “the nation’s premier hockey conference” thrown around enough by the athletics department — and one that would put the team’s influence at a national level. But despite Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick’s reassurances that Notre Dame fit well in the conference, it was clear from the start that the Irish were going to be outsiders in this new league.

Notre Dame sophomore defenseman Justin Wade handles the puck during a 3-3 overtime tie with Connecticut in Compton Family Ice Arena.Caitlyn Jordan | The Observer

Notre Dame sophomore defenseman Justin Wade handles the puck during a 3-3 overtime tie with Connecticut in Compton Family Ice Arena.

It all starts with geography and goes from there. Notre Dame is the only school in the conference not located in New England. Every time the Irish play a road conference game, a somewhat lengthy plane ride awaits them. When the Irish joined Hockey East, Boston College was the only school against which they really had any sort of competitive sports history, and in the 18 months since, they’ve yet to establish anything that resembles a second rivalry in the league.

And just take a look at the Notre Dame roster. An astounding 17 players come from the Midwest. How many come from New England? One. That would be junior goaltender Nick Stasack, who has yet to see the ice in his first season as a walk-on.

If you aren’t in New England, don’t have many players from New England and don’t have rivals in New England, what made anyone think this arrangement would work?

On WSBT Radio’s Sportsbeat broadcast Monday, Jackson told host Darin Pritchett that he was concerned the Irish were still treated as an “outsider” in the league and that there was a “double standard” in play against the team. And he’s absolutely right in that assessment. Because the Irish are outsiders.

We have been seeing it on the ice now, too, specifically from the guys wearing the white-and-black striped shirts. The Irish were denied an opportunity at overtime Friday when Northeastern directly benefitted from a missed slashing call in the final two minutes of the game. This non-call came on the heels of a conference game earlier this year when the Irish were denied a win against UMass Lowell after officials failed to review a missed offside call. Jackson asked for a review, the correct process in this situation, but none happened. Add these incidents to the growing list of referees’ decisions that have baffled the Irish coach over the past two seasons, and it’s not hard to see a trend developing.

Of course, as with anything, the element of money is involved. When Notre Dame joined Hockey East, it did it alongside the announcement of an agreement to air Irish home games on NBC Sports Network. That agreement got underway last year — Notre Dame’s first in the league — and puts the Irish on national television as much as any other college hockey program.

Does that happen if Notre Dame went independent or joined the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC), the other league the Irish considered?

Probably not. Had the Irish gone independent, it is likely that they would have struggled to find quality opponents late in the season. This weekend, Vermont and Penn State are the only teams playing a non-conference contest. The following week, it’s just Northern Michigan and Minnesota-Duluth. With such uncertainty in scheduling, it’s easy to see why NBC might not have been interested in such an arrangement.

As for the NCHC? It’s hard to say. At face value, NBC might have preferred the Hockey East teams to a slate headlined by Miami (Ohio) and North Dakota. Besides, it’s difficult to say if the conference would have let the Irish negotiate their own TV contract because it already has an agreement with CBS Sports Network.

So, yeah, if a television contract is the most important thing to Swarbrick and the program, they probably made the right call.

But it’s left them in a conference where they’re outsiders in almost every way. And I’m not sure that will ever change.

Tags: , , , , ,

About Alex Carson

Alex Carson graduated from Notre Dame in 2017 after majoring in Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics and living in O’Neill Hall. Hailing from the Indianapolis area, but born in Youngstown, Ohio, Carson is a Cleveland sports fan convinced that he’s already lived the “best day of his life.”At The Observer, Carson was first a Sports Writer, then served as an Associate Sports Editor (2015/16) and an Assistant Managing Editor (2016/17), before finishing his tenure as a Senior Sports Writer.A man of strong convictions, he ardently believes that Carly Rae Jepsen's 2015 release E•MO•TION is the greatest album of his generation, and wakes up early on Saturday mornings to listen, or occasionally watch, his favorite least-favorite sports team, Aston Villa.When he isn’t writing, Carson spends his time counting down the days to the next running of the Indianapolis 500 and reminding people that the Victory March starts with the lyric, “Rally sons of Notre Dame,” not “Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame.”

Contact Alex
  • Alex, As an avid ice hockey watcher and admirer, at the collegiate and professional ranks, Good Points. I’d ask you, though, to consider the following:

1.) Geography. It’s approximately 1120 miles from Campus to Orono, Maine (Hockey East). It’s also approximately 920 miles to Tallahassee, Florida (ACC). Athletic teams travel enormous distances these days, some times only for overnight contests, not weekend-long matches. Also: While in the CCHA, Notre Dame played Alaska-Fairbanks, which is approximately 3,550 miles. Athletic teams travel enormous distances these days, sometimes for overnight contests only, not weekend-long series.

2.) “Being an outsider”. Was Notre Dame an outsider, for example, in the Big East for Women’s Basketball? Women’s Soccer? Women’s Volleyball? Women’s Softball? Not at the end of that Conference affiliation but from day-one? How about those sports now in the ACC? The point? Playing the “outsider” card feels good in the moment but, in reality, it’s sort-of hollow. Yes, Notre Dame is at a tremendous recruiting disadvantage in Hockey East Territory – this was not, is not a secret: Ice Hockey, both Men’s AND Women’s, “out East” is bigger than football and basketball at a lot of schools. (Yes, my Fellow Domers, it’s true! And Women even get to play! As an official sport! With travel to other schools and everything. OMG!!!) Ice Hockey has always been THE sport at some schools for decades. Breaking into that would be tough – we also all knew this, and many of us suggested this move will cause problems for several years. Which leads me to

3.) Perhaps you were being too kind in your analysis of the effects of moving to Hockey East. I commend you for your compassion. But let’s be honest: Those of us who follow and have followed collegiate hockey nationally knew Notre Dame would be outclassed by the opposition in Hockey East. And that it would probably take a few years for everything to “shake out”. Initially, probably not so bad, then a drop-off, then some type of leveling-off. Just how long that drop-off will be, and where that leveling-off will occur and what comes after, will take some time. Probably another 3-6 years. During this “adjustment” period, Notre Dame may be taking it on the chin (literally!) for a few years until it adjusts to the new reality. But make no mistake: many saw this as not being good for Notre Dame Ice Hockey in the short term on the ice. For the long-term, we’ll just have to wait and see.

• Adam Wodon

You basically said it all at the end. The NCHC didn’t allow their own TV deal, and Hockey East did. It pretty much begins and ends right there. If the NCHC changes its mind – then Notre Dame can move. Otherwise, Notre Dame would have to accept a lesser deal, and I don’t think that’s going to happen either.

• Patrick J.

I feel like HEA didn’t leverage enough because ND was left dangling.

Of course Notre Dame is a bad fit but the powers that be wanted to associate with NDs brand.

Likewise, bringing in schools outside of regional familiarity where regional familiarity is important was a bad deal.

Both organizations have to work with their bad decisions until the next conference shake up.

• Jamés

By this logic, if Stasack starts in the net, then the Irish aren’t outsiders anymore? #StartStasack

• elcardenal

Air Force had to jump on a plane almost every other weekend and still dominated the Atlantic for years. Obviously the Atlantic is a step below the Hockey East, but the Falcons show you can have success being the outlier.

• Scott Ryan

As someone who grew up bleeding Blue and Gold (first game in The House That Rock Built featured Joe Theisman) but then graduated from The University of New Hampshire this sounds like a lot of sour grapes in a season that is not going all that well for the Irish.

Hockey East is a premiere league with sub-par referees. I graduate from UNH in 1987, a few years after HE was formed. The officiating has been poor in the league from day 1. Whining about missed calls is beneath Notre Dame. I can assure you that every team in HE has missed out on wins because of missed or bad calls.

As for geography, cry me a river. I suppose then, based on that logic all other sports are looking to move out of the ACC. The driving distance between South Bend and Tallahasse FL is just a few hundred miles less than that to Orono Maine.

If anything it is HE that should be evaluating the relationship with Notre Dame and not the other way around. What has been traditionally been weekend home and home series in HE has had to change with the addition of the Irish. The league’s membership made adjustments in scheduling and schooling to take in the Irish.

Welcome to big time college hockey.

As someone who bleeds Blue and Gold in all things, except when you play my Widlcats. this whining is beneath the integrity of Notre Dame.

• Baraka

It’s laughable to suggest Notre Dame is getting singled out by the officiating. Ask any fan of any team in Hockey East and they’ll rattle off a list of games where they felt their team was screwed.

The travel is another excuse. Prior to ND joining Hockey East, HE and ECAC were the only leagues that drove to all league games. ND was flying during their CCHA days – maybe not to all the games, but to suggest that’s why they want out is wrong.