-

-

Campus Ministry names McCormick as new director

| Thursday, January 15, 2015

Fr. Pete McCormick will begin serving as Notre Dame’s director of campus ministry on Feb. 1, according to a University press release issued Monday.

McCormick served as rector of Keough Hall from 2007-2013 and is currently pursuing an executive MBA degree from the Mendoza College of Business. He served as associate vocation director for the Congregation of Holy Cross from 2007-2010, was appointed associate director of campus ministry in 2014 and serves as chaplain to the Notre Dame men’s basketball team, the press release stated.

“I’m incredibly grateful for this opportunity and look forward to serving the Notre Dame student body,” McCormick said in the press release.

As director, McCormick will oversee a staff of about 30 clerical, religious and lay ministers. He replaces Fr. James B. King, who has served as director since April 2012, according to the press release. King will continue to serve as religious superior of Holy Cross priests and brothers at Notre Dame.

“Campus Ministry is central to Notre Dame’s Catholic mission, and I am very pleased that someone with Fr. Pete’s energy, enthusiasm, administrative skills and dedication to service as a Holy Cross priest will assume the director role,” University President Fr. John Jenkins said in the release. “I want to thank Fr. Jim King who, in addition to other significant responsibilities at the University, served as director until the ideal person was ready to take over.”

“Campus Ministry’s work is inspired by the charism of the Congregation of Holy Cross to educate the heart and mind of our students,” vice president for student affairs Erin Hoffmann Harding said in the release. “Fr. Pete’s outstanding service as a rector, administrator and chaplain has shown his exceptional capability to connect with all students and inspire them to deepen their faith. I am delighted that the Notre Dame community will benefit from his leadership in this crucial role.”

McCormick is a native of Grand Rapids, Michigan, who entered Moreau Seminary in 2000 after graduating from Grand Valley State University. He earned a master’s degree in divinity from Notre Dame in 2006 and was ordained a Holy Cross priest in 2007, according to the press release.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report