Joel Crouse to Legends

JoelCrouse_Web
Erin Rice | The Observer
Erin Rice | The Observer

Listen up, y’all: Legends of Notre Dame is once again going country. Courtesy of SAO, Joel Crouse will be coming to Legends on Friday at 10 p.m. If you missed the impressive performance by Cole Swindell before break, this is your second chance to catch an up-and-coming star before he makes it big time. However, don’t get me wrong: Crouse has already succeeded quite a bit in the country music industry.

Even if you haven’t heard the name Crouse yet, odds are you are familiar with country stars Taylor Swift, Toby Keith, The Band Perry and Darius Rucker. Crouse is familiar with them as well, as he has toured with all four headliners. He toured with Swift on her Red Tour, Keith and The Band Perry in 2011 and is currently on the road with Rucker. Every musician has to make their start somewhere, and touring with these household names is not a bad start; this country cowboy has the talent and the drive to make a sure name for himself.

If this remarkable resume isn’t impressive enough, how about adding on the fact that Crouse is only 22 years old (scarily the same age as me) and has already accomplished all of these impressive acts? Like many before him, he is getting his start young with the hopes of capturing the hearts of fellow young country fans around the world. Coming to a college campus is therefore ideal, as we are the target audience for such a singer.

Crouse had a big year in 2014, as it marked the release of his first album, “Even the River Runs. In 2011, he signed with Show Dog-Universal Music, a label founded by Keith. The album was released in August and contains singles such as “If You Want Some,” “Why God Made Love Songs” and “Don’t Tell Me.” The album reached no. 183 on the Billboard top 200 and no. 20 on the Top Country Albums list.

Unlike many country stars, Crouse was born and raised on the East coat, in Holland, Massachusetts, albeit in a rural area. He prides himself on telling stories, saying that, “deep down, country music is about the story.” He was inspired by his grandfather, born in Alabama, and began writing his own music by the age of 16. Since then, he has been writing and performing his songs in the hopes of being “discovered,” a goal that has clearly already been achieved.

Crouse is a young singer with heart and passion for country music, so it is basically a guarantee that his show at Legends will be worth your while. The show begins at 10 p.m. and is followed by a “Legends Goes Country!” party at midnight. Entrance is free for students.