Major's Night features Career Center

Everyone throws the term around, but what does it actually mean to "major in" something? Major's Night will be held Thursday to help students get a better understanding of their options in college and beyond.

“A typical misconception that underclassmen have when they come to college is that a major will define their career for the rest of their life — and that is not the case,” Lara Dulin, the project leader of Major’s Night said

She said she hopes students will come to the event Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. in South Dining Hall with a desire to be inspired.

“We want students to be creative, to follow their curiosities and to explore all different kinds of things,” Dulin said.

In preparation for this event, student government created the motto “learn, discuss, envision” to encourage students not only to learn about the academic opportunities offered at Notre Dame, but also to discuss their passions with professors and students and seek guidance from career counselors.

“This year we wanted to make Major’s Night a little different,” Dulin said. "The Career Center is going to play a larger role.”

Career counselors will be present at the event to sit and chat with students about how a major can transition into a career and what a major really means for their future.

Michelle Lacouture, student government's director of academic affairs, said Major's Night is the showcase of all of the different majors and academic opportunities for students under one roof.

“This year, we wanted to make the experience one of personal growth and reflection for students by bringing the Career Center to the event. We’ve worked really closely with the Career Center’s Engagement Team on how best to address and facilitate this discovery and self-reflection process for students through the Center’s expertise and guidance," Lacouture said.

The Career Center's Engagement Team will also offer sign ups for personal meetings to be held at a later date.

Professors, faculty and current students representing the array of majors and academic programs offered at Notre Dame will also be present at the event. Major’s Night will not only offer academic resources from every major, minor and study abroad program, but also from several research institutes like the Nanovic and Kellogg Institutes, as well as from the Center for Social Concerns and the Center for Undergraduate Scholarly Engagement.

Additionally, this year student government has created a brochure for the event with ideas on how best to take advantage of the resources available to them on Major’s Night. The pamphlet includes ideas of what students should be doing during Major’s Night with a list of possible questions to be asked of professors, as well as where to go after the event for further investigation.

Lara Dulin said the event is also extended to students who may already have selected their major or majors, but who can investigate minors or supplementary programs to better explore their passions.

“Major’s Night is primarily for freshmen and undecided sophomores, but people are constantly shaping their academic goals, so sophomores can come to learn about study abroad or pick up a minor, and even juniors can come and talk to the research institutes," Dulin said. "It's for everyone."

“We hope students come in with a clear mind and an open heart and allow themselves to examine what it is they want to get out of their education at Notre Dame," Lacouture said.