Incoming Editor-in-Chief names new supporting staff

Jack Rooney, Lesley Stevenson, Mary Green and Wei Lin will help oversee The Observer’s Editorial Board operations in 2015-2016, incoming Editor-in-Chief Greg Hadley announced Sunday night.

Rooney will take on the Managing Editor position, the paper’s No. 2 spot, while Stevenson, Green and Lin will all serve as Assistant Managing Editors. They officially begin their new roles March 15.

Rooney, a junior political science and American studies double major and journalism, ethics and democracy minor, has worked in The Observer’s news and viewpoint departments, most recently serving as Associate News Editor.

The Chicago native is currently studying abroad in Dublin and lives in Alumni Hall on campus. During his time at The Observer, Rooney has reported on Ann Coulter’s visit to campus, changes to the Student International Business Council (SIBC) and various student government issues. This summer, he will intern at The Concord Monitor in Concord, New Hampshire.

“I consider The Observer an indispensable part of the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s community, and I will work to make sure it continues to provide relevant, impactful stories about issues that matter to my fellow students,” Rooney said.

Stevenson, The Observer’s current News Editor, is pursuing a double major in film, television and theatre and American studies. She hails from Memphis, Tennessee, and lives in Breen-Phillips Hall. With Rooney, she spearheaded coverage of the 2014 Mental Illness Awareness Week and expanded the News department’s corps of writers in addition to writing on Notre Dame admissions and the Irish Guard.

“The Observer exists to serve Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s in a way no other group can,” Stevenson said. “With this team in place, I know we will maintain top-quality coverage and find innovative ways to increase our readership in the coming term.”

Green currently serves as The Observer’s Sports Editor and is majoring in English and film, television and theatre with a minor in journalism, ethics and democracy. The Tampa, Florida, native and Pangborn Hall resident has covered Notre Dame football, baseball, women’s soccer and men’s swimming and was part of the paper’s coverage of the Notre Dame women’s basketball team’s tournament run in 2014.

“While we have always offered strong reporting and coverage in recent years, I’m excited to see the new lengths we can go to with more multimedia and social media incorporation,” Green said.

Born and raised in New York City, Lin is a junior majoring in accountancy, economics and Chinese. A resident of Knott Hall, Lin currently serves the 2014-2015 Editorial Board as the Photo Editor. He has worked on the Irish Insider covers during the past football season. Lin occasionally travels to provide photo coverage for away games and also writes for the news department.

“When I first joined The Observer, I never imagined I’d be where I am today,” Lin said. “I’m thankful to have such great mentors and really excited to continue working with such a talented group of friends to provide the best experience for our readers.”