-

-

Sports

Boxers compete in quarters

, , , , and | Thursday, February 19, 2015

135-pounds

Patrick “Il Lupo” Brennan def. Arun “Bollywood Basher” Nadar

The first round of the fight began evenly matched. However, midway through the stanza, the junior Nadar caught his hand on the ropes, which required medical attention. At the beginning of the second round, Nadar had to stop the fight again because his nasal bandage was giving him problems. After the timeout, the sophomore Brennan seized control of the fight, bobbing, weaving and connecting several counterpunches. Immediately after the bell to begin the third round, Brennan knocked down Nadar with a vicious headshot. After the knockdown, Nadar showed fatigue and could not put together a comeback. Brennan advanced to the semifinals by unanimous decision.

Atticus Coscia def. Albert “I am so Lone” Lee

Lee came out on fire in the first round, but Coscia came to match his opponent’s intensity, putting Lee on the defensive for the latter part of the round. The sophomore from Siegfried Hall Coscia landed several headshots on Lee to gain the early advantage. Lee remained on the defensive in the second round, eventually stopping to go through an eight-second count, but the match continued. Coscia used lightning-fast combinations to keep his fellow sophomore on the ropes to start the third round and was relentless until the final bell. As a result, Coscia was named the victor by a unanimous decision.

Alex “El Cadejo” Alcantara def. Cullen “The Fishtown Hound” McNamee

Both fighters kept their distance throughout the first round, employing defensive strategies. However, Alcantara started the second round strongly and put McNamee on the ropes, where he delivered a powerful combination of left and right hooks. McNamee tried to open the third stanza more aggressively, but an Alcantara counterattack forced him onto the ropes again, where Alcantara delivered a flurry to McNamee’s body that knocked the Duncan Hall senior down. When the fight restarted, Alcantara forced McNamee back into a corner where more body blows knocked him down again. Alcantara continued to show off his footwork, forcing his opponent into the corners, where once again he went on the offensive. The referee stopped the fight and awarded Alcanta the victory.

E.J. “Binks” Leppert def. Daniel Lee

The two fighters scouted his opponent for the majority of the first round, but each landed some well-timed punches with Leppert proving to be the more accurate. Lee came out strong to start the second round, landing some solid left hooks, but the fight returned to a slow, calculated pace, with most punches from each fighter being blocked. At the end of the second round, Leppert took control with a powerful combination of left and right hooks and carried that momentum into the third round. Leppert landed a powerful uppercut to Lee’s jaw, but a counterattack from Lee forced Leppert onto the ropes, where Lee delivered a strong flurry. However, it was not enough secure the victory, as Leppert took the bout by split decision.

145-pounds:

Robert “R. Kelly” Devine def. Connor “MJ” Chelsky

The first round consisted of Devine pinning Chelsky on the ropes several times. However, Chelsky quickly bounced back to fight the senior off. A very intense second round ensued, as both sides traded punches and kept a brisk pace. Devine landed a strong headshot to start the third round that stunned Chelsky and sent him into the ropes, but again the senior recovered. Devine knocked down Chelsky some moments later with a strong headshot, but after a pause, Chelsky came out with renewed energy. He managed to swing the momentum and the crowd in his favor, but it was not enough as the final bell sounded and Devine was declared the winner by split decision.

Danny “Nacho Tigre” Espinoza def. EJ “Armageddon” Smith

The fighters came out slower than other fights of the evening, as they tested each other out and probed different avenues of attack. The second round saw a continued defensive struggle, with few hard punches hitting their mark. Both fighters successfully dodged and parried each other until Espinoza unleashed a combination to start the third round, a moment that changed the course of the match. The junior never let Smith recover and stayed on the offensive, applying continuous pressure. Espinoza was awarded a trip to the semifinals by unanimous decision.

“Sloppy” Joe Guilfoile def. Matthew “Scruffy” Yoder “I Barely Know Her”

Despite a slow start from both contestants, Guilfoile took the upper hand in the first, forcing Yoder towards the ropes and dodging the O’Neill freshman’s attempts to counter. Guilfoile was able to land some strong right hooks in the second, but Yoder connected with a very powerful right hook of his own that knocked Guilfoile down late in the round. In a lively start to the third round, Guilfoile delivered a combination of blows to Yoder’s body, but Yoder blocked it and forced Guilfoile onto the ropes with a counterattack. Through the remainder of the third, though, Guilfoile kept Yoder at a distance and connected on enough well-timed punches to win by unanimous decision.

Peter “The Wild Irish Rose” McGinley def. Joe “GI Joe” DeLuca

McGinley came out aggressively, but DeLuca dodged most of his early efforts. He was eventually able to land a flurry of punches, but DeLuca countered. McGinley connected on a few well-timed punches past DeLuca’s defenses, forcing DeLuca onto the ropes late in the first. DeLuca started the second round on the offensive, but McGinley fought back, forcing DeLuca onto the ropes, where McGinley soon knocked him down. McGinley again knocked him down again shortly after. McGinley forced DeLuca to the ropes to start the third and delivered more blows to DeLuca’s body, knocking him down again and once more soon after. Although DeLuca was able to hold on to finish the fight, McGinley won by unanimous decision.

149-pounds:

Luke “Lobos” Kiefer def. Liam “Trooper” Chang

This fight started slowly, as the two boxers looked to find a winning a strategy. Near the end of the first round, Kiefer, a junior from Duncan Hall, broke the monotony by landing one solid combination. The second round saw more action and again, Kiefer managed to land more blows than Chan before the bell rang. In the third round, the junior from Alumni tried to build some momentum with an attack, but Kiefer stifled his attempts and got the better of Chan throughout the round. Kiefer was declared the winner by unanimous decision.

Devin “Opel” Duffy def. Patrick “Payday” Yerkes

Both fighters landed powerful combinations throughout a punch-filled first round. The second round was just as action-packed. Yerkes, a sophomore from St. Edward’s Hall, opened the round with a strong flurry, but the Dillon Hall senior Duffy managed a counterattack to push Yerkes into the ropes at a few different points. In the final round, Duffy was the stronger of the two boxers and continually forced Yerkes on the defensive. Duffy was declared the winner by unanimous decision.

Kieran Carroll def. Paul “The Shake” Rudnicki

The start of the fight saw Carroll, a junior from Duncan Hall, taking early control, with a series of body shots and a hard cross that knocked Zahm sophomore Rudnicki to the canvas. Halfway through the first round, action was stopped to treat Rudnicki’s bloody nose.Throughout the match, Carroll dodged the majority of Rudnicki’s jabs and hooks and countered with stiff shots to the head. In the second and third round, Carroll held off opening surges from Rudnicki to slow down the pace of the match and establish control. Though both boxers threw flurries to end the fight, Carroll was able to connect on the majority of his. In the end, Carroll advanced to the next round by unanimous decision.

Garrett “FedEx” Schmelling def. Briggs “Drop It Like It’s” Hoyt

Both fighters came out swinging to open the first round, and Schmelling, a Fisher Hall sophomore, quickly established himself as the swifter of the two fighters. He ducked under numerous attempted shots to his head by Keenan Hall senior Hoyt and landed several impactful hits of his own towards the end of the first round. Hoyt come out aggressively in the second round, but Schmelling landed several brutal shots to the head that caused the referee to step in and begin a count. Hoyt shook it off, but towards the end of the second round Schmelling landed several heavy shots to the ribs and a few to the face, slowing Hoyt down. Schmelling dominated the third round, keeping Hoyt at bay with jabs, on his way to the unanimous decision victory.

158-pounds:

Garrity “Biscuit” McOsker def Joe Quinones

Close-quarter fighting defined the first round, as both boxers sought to land body blows and keep his opponent close. Finally, the senior McOsker opened the action up by landing a powerful uppercut near the end of the first round. The second round slowed down, as both fighters seemed to tire as the fight wore on and neither boxer gained a clear advantage. In the third round the action heated up again with McOsker backing the freshman Quinones into the corner on multiple occasions. McOsker was declared the winner by unanimous decision.

Ryan “Attila” Dunn def. Sean Himel

Dunn, a freshman from Knott Hall, came out swinging in the first round and attempted four right hooks that Himel, a junior from Duncan, managed to dodge. However, halfway through the round, Himel hit the deck hard and the fight was stopped. Dunn had landed a punch that caused Himel fall, and he landed poorly. Dunn was declared the winner in a referee-stopped contest.

Chip Blood def. Eoghan “I am Actually from Ireland” Flanagan

The match began cautiously, as both sophomore fighters spent the first half of the opening round feeling each other out. Zahm’s Flanagan backed Blood, from Sorin College, into the corner, and unloaded several hard shots to the body and head. Blood escaped and threw a few blows of his own to even things up, and the first round ended inconclusively. The second round was more or less the same, with Flanagan landing a few more accurate strikes than Blood to take a slight edge. However, in the third and final round, both fighters put everything they had into each punch. In the end, Blood escaped the hard-fought match with a split-decision victory.

Joe “Sully” Sulentic def. Patrick Burkett

The fight began with the quicker Burkett, a sophomore from Siegfried Hall, darting around Morrissey Hall sophomore Sulentic, throwing periodic jabs to keep Sulentic from getting in too close. Eventually though, Sulentic trapped Burkett’s against the ropes with his harder crosses to the head and ribs. Multiple times both fighters clinched each other, forcing the referee to separate the two. As the fight went on, Burkett’s speed slowed, leaving him vulnerable to steady and powerful hits from Sulentic through the third round. The match ended with Sulentic picking up the unanimous decision victory.

167-pounds:

Patrick “Pattycake” Shea def Eric “The Squirrel” Tomarello

In a battle of off-campus seniors, Tommarello squared off with Shea. The first round saw Shea take a slight edge as he managed to keep Tommarello on his back foot for most the round. Despite this, Tommarello dodged most of Shea’s more intense punches. In the second round, Shea began to methodically wear down Tomarello using his superior height and reach. The fight halted for a few seconds in the second round as Tomarello was treated for a bloody nose. Shea’ continued to use his advantages in the final round and at the end of the bout, Shea was declared the winner by unanimous decision.

Mike “Greasy” Grasso def. Chris “Double Diesel” Clarke

Clarke started on the offensive, attempting to breach Grasso’s defenses with experimental jabs. However, a mistimed left hook gave the shorter Grasso an opening, and he forced Clarke into the corner on two separate occasions with relentless body blows, forcing two stoppages. Clarke adjusted well to Grasso’s strategy after the second stoppage; taking advantage of his superior reach, by throwing punches to connect under and around Grasso’s high guard. Clarke regained some momentum in the second round. Grasso became more tentative in the following rounds, giving Clarke opportunities to connect with combinations. Ultimately, however, Grasso’s early aggression earned him the advantage and the victory by split decision.

Gage “American Psycho” O’Connell def. Scott “Bootstrap” Rosseau

The fight began with both boxers immediately laying into each other, throwing flurries of punches to the head and body. The storm ended with a sudden jab that knocked Rousseau, a senior from Fisher Hall, down.The second round was more or less the same, with both fighters exchanging moments of control where they trapped each other in the corner, landing hard shots to the body and head. The third round devolved into an endurance test, as both men threw as many punches as they could, bringing the crowd to a fever pitch. Finally, the bell rang, and in the end, the judges awarded the law student O’Connell the victory by split decision.

Mike “Flanigan” Flanigan def. Paddy “El Canelo” Lawler

The intensity of this matchup was apparent from the opening bell, as both boxers traded body and headshots continuously throughout the first round, inciting loud cheers from their large supporting sections. At different points in the opening round, each fighter pushed his opponent up against the ropes. The second round saw much of the same, as the freshman Lawler came out firing but was evenly matched by the senior Flanigan. In the final round, both fighters went all out, and there did not seem to be a clear victor at the final bell, but the judges awarded split-decision victory to Flanigan.

178-pounds:

Jason “Downtown” Ellinwood def. Matt “Hands” Bedell

The duo exchanged jabs early, but Ellinwood’s headshots were more effective in the early stages of the fight. In the second round, Bedell searched for the perfect punch while Ellinwood landed a series of jab-hook combos, forcing a count halfway through the frame. Bedell attempted to respond as the second round concluded, but his attempts were countered with strikes from Ellinwood. The final round saw Bedell land an early body combo, but a parried hook gave Ellinwood room for an uppercut that forced the second count of the match. Bedell survived the count and finished the fight, but Ellinwood took the victory by unanimous decision.

Brendan “Rainman” Lesch def. James “Iceman” Hodgens

Both fighters launched an all-out offensive to start the hotly-contested match. Lesch landed a brutal right hook to Hodgens’ head, sending him reeling and forcing a stoppage. The hook seemed to shake Hodgens, whose intensity wavered towards the end of the round. Lesch returned to his right hook again and again, causing Hodgens to stagger back to his corner. Hodgens roared back in the second, though, taking advantage of a haphazard defensive stance from Lesch. The third round started in much the same manner as the first — with a punishing right hook from Lesch — sending Hodgens to his knees, earning Lesch a decisive victory in a referee stopped contest.

Brent Breslau def. Ryan “Cherry Boppins” Chestnut

After a slow start to the bout, Breslau went on the offensive. Breslau fought more aggressively than his freshman opponent, Chestnut, in the first round. The second period saw a shift in momentum, as the fighters stood in the center of the ring, going blow for blow. The third round opened as an all-out brawl, as Breslau repeatedly forced his opponent to the ropes and landed devastating headshots, but Chestnut continued to fight back throughout the round. Ultimately his effort was not enough, as Breslau secured a unanimous-decision victory from the judges.

Eric “P-Rex” Palutsis def. Brian “Rowdy” Roddy

These two seniors showed patience early in the bout, before Palutsis landed a number of devastating shots at the end of the first round. The second round featured much of the same, but Roddy was able to land a higher percentage of his punches. As the third round began, Palutsis started to pull away from Roddy, forcing him into the corner more than once and landing fierce shots to the face and body. Though the fight was close throughout, Palutsis did just enough to differentiate himself and earn a split-decision victory over Roddy.

184-pounds:

Derek Meyer def. Jack “Hammer” Corrigan

The beginning of the match was mostly defensive, with Corrigan landing a right jab that snuck past Meyer’s guard and made contact with his head. Meyer responded in kind, though, delivering a flurry of body blows to force Corrigan against the ropes at the end of the first round. To start the next frame, Corrigan managed to duck a hook and land a fierce body shot, only for Meyer to connect with an uppercut of his own. Both fighters appeared exhausted by the end of the bout, with punches losing speed and missing their targets. Ultimately, though, Meyer’s earned the victory by unanimous decision.

CJ “Chief Justice” Pruner def Erik “The Dozer” Mendoza 

Pruner used his longer reach early and often, lobbing punishing blows around the guard of Mendoza to remain continuously on the assault. Still, Mendoza retained a strong stance and responded with well-targeted body blows. Pruner’s momentum continued through the second round, as he pressed his height advantage, forcing Mendoza out of range with straight jabs and parries. Mendoza forced the issue as the final round opened, taking Pruner’s jabs and responding with body blows of his own, capped by a crushing right hook to Pruner’s head. Still, Pruner’s early assaults earned him an advantage that he maintained throughout the match, resulting in a victory by unanimous decision.

Bryan Cooley def. Mike Rossetto

Pitting freshman against senior, these two boxers opened the match with a flurry of action. Midway through the first round, the senior Cooley knocked his opponent to the ground, but Rossetto battled back to make the first round close. In the second round, Cooley continued to land punch after punch, forcing the referee to stop the fight momentarily. Rossetto was never out of the fight, however, and was able to still land punches on his opponent throughout the bout. Cooley’s experience proved to be too much for the freshman, however, as he pulled away in the third round and secured a unanimous-decision victory and a spot in the semifinals.

Brian “Cheese” Willis def. Lucas “Da Ugly Doo” de Heraclito Lima

De Heraclito Lima came out on the offensive, but Willis weathered the storm and forced him up against the ropes twice early in the first round. Before the end of the round, Willis landed a brutal blow that sent de Heraclito Lima crashing into the ropes. As medics and trainers helped de Heraclito Lima to a sitting position, Willis waited in the opposite corner. Before leaving the ring, de Heraclito Lima was met with a hug from his opponent, and Willis was granted a victory in a referee-stopped contest.

196-pounds:

Pat Gordon def. Chris “The Fist” Vazquez

Each fighter began the bout by throwing punches with an emphasis on efficiency and precision. The first round proved to be an even affair, with both landing several jabs before the frame’s conclusion. The second round saw Gordon break the defensive stalemate, as he nearly forced Vazquez to keel over with a brutal left hook. The strike seemed to shake Vazquez, whose guard faltered and he adopted a more haphazard attack. Gordon continued to gain in the third, but “The Fist” did not go quietly, finding a second wind and forcing Gordon against the ropes shortly before the final bell. The momentum from Gordon’s second-round push set the tone for the fight, though, earning the freshman a victory by unanimous decision.

Evan “Heavy Duty” Escobedo vs. Ian White

Escobedo and White traded punches at the center of the ring and danced around one another for much of an evenly-matched first round. In the second frame, these two seniors continued to battle in the middle of the ring, but Escobedo’s shots found his opponent more frequently. Once the third round got going, Escobedo began to pull away from White, forcing him to the corner and overwhelming him en route to earning a unanimous-decision victory.

Chris Croushore def. Daniel “-imals Drinkable Yogurt” Babiak

Croushore held a height and reach advantage but Babiak rattled his opponent and had him on the run as the first round went on. The second round only grew in intensity, as Croushore nearly forced Babiak from the ring at one point. The final round was a rollercoaster of momentum, with each fighter enforcing his will at various points. The fight came down to a split decision, with the judges awarding Croushore a spot in the semifinals.

Jack Considine def. Joseph “The Dirty Bubble” Stevens

The fight saw both fighters forego lengthy jabs in favor of vicious body blows. Each fighter landed a series of impressive shots in the first round,with Considine gaining the slight upper hand, but neither fighter faltered for more than a few moments. The bout seemed to tilt further in Considine’s favor as the middle frame progressed, with his hooks forcing Stevens to adopt a more defensive style. Stevens tried increase the speed of the match and avoid Considine’s strategy of fighting near the ropes in the final round, but his efforts afforded Considine openings of his own. After an exchange of hooks and jabs that left Stevens reeling, the bell rang and Considine took the unanimous-decision victory.

Heavy Weight

Gerry “Jarreigh” Kelliher def. Kevin “Packy” Gates

Early in the fight, it seemed as if both fighters simply wanted to out-muscle the other, clinching often. Kelliher landed shot after shot before the referee was forced to stop the fight momentarily, but Gates came back with a fury to end the round. The second round featured a similar intensity, but neither fighter was able to gain an edge. Midway through the final round, Kelliher landed a pair of devastating shots to the face, and he was ultimately able to earn a unanimous-decision victory over Gates.

Jackson “The Flash” Wrede def. Kyle “Hot Crossed” Munns

Much of the first round was spent sparring in the center of the ring, as the law student Munns and freshman Wrede searched for weaknesses. The second round saw the fighters trade body shots, before Wrede began to knock his opponent off balance and drive him to the fringes of the ring. At the start of the third round, Munns came out firing, forcing Wrede to the ropes, but Wrede was able to fight him off and reassert control of the fight with one punch after another. Wrede was ultimately too much for Munns, as he secured a unanimous-decision victory.

Ryan “The Swedish Meatball” Lindquist def. Erich “Daddy” Jegier

Both fighters exchanged haymakers to start the bout, with neither willing to back off. The fight was interrupted midway through the first round, as Lindquist bloodied Jegier’s nose. Jegier had trouble regaining his early intensity. Lindquist continued with jabs to the face that forced stoppages in the first and second rounds as trainers tended to nose bleeds. The wound did not slow Jegier down, however, as he renewed his aggression in the later half of the fight. The two matched blows through the end of the second round, with neither fighter earning any apparent advantage or appearing to fatigue. The fight concluded with Linquist taking home the split-decision win.

Tyler “Tuna” Plantz def. Taylor “Showbiz” Kolbus

A contrast between reach and tenacity defined the fight from the opening bell, as Plantz’s hard-hitting barrages sought to overcome the far-reaching jabs and hooks of the lanky senior Kolbus. Each managed a number of blows, with the majority of Plantz’s connecting with his opponent’s midsection, while “Showbiz” targeted the head. Plantz earned a warning against low blows midway through the round. Still, he managed to take advantage of his nimble step and forced Kolbus into a defensive grapple in a corner. The final round proved decisive, as Plantz found a pair of openings and managed to close the distance between himself and his taller opponent. When the bell rang to end the match, Plantz took home the unanimous-decision victory.

Tags:

About Marek Mazurek

Marek is a senior history major and is a former resident of Carroll Hall. He has lived in Mishawaka or South Bend for all 21 years of his life and covers Notre Dame football and men's basketball. He has loads of hand-eye coordination but lacks the height to be any good. Marek is also a proud esports supporter.

Contact Marek

About Brett O'Connell

Contact Brett

About Daniel O'Boyle

Daniel O'Boyle is a senior sports writer living in Alumni Hall, majoring in Political Science. He is currently on the Notre Dame Women's Basketball, Men's Tennis and Women's Soccer beats. Originally from Belfast, Northern Ireland, Daniel spends most of his free time attempting to keep up with second-flight English soccer and his beloved Reading FC. He believes Lonzo Ball is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Contact Daniel

About Mike Ginocchio

Contact Mike

About Hunter McDaniel

Contact Hunter

About Sean Kilmer

Contact Sean