Scott Malpass on Fr. Theodore Hesburgh

As Chief Investment Officer since 1988, Fr. Ted would often talk to me about the Notre Dame endowment and how important it was to our future. When he became president in 1952, the press asked him how he was going to improve Notre Dame's ranking among the top universities in the land, and he said that one thing was for sure — we had to build our endowment fund and that if you looked at the top 20 universities at the time, they had the largest endowments funds. The Notre Dame endowment was only $7 million in 1952, and the endowment pool is now approaching $10 billion. Fr. Ted inspired me and my team in our endowment management program, and we had dinner periodically to celebrate important milestones in its growth. He was very proud of what we have done with the endowment and the opportunities it has provided for our students and faculty. It was one of his highest priorities.

Fr. Ted was a tremendous leader and an even better person who could talk about the sacramental mission of Notre Dame in a way that resonated with people, even those outside of Notre Dame. He built tremendous relationships for the University from all aspects of society. Everyone loved Fr. Ted.

Scott Malpass

Class of 1984

Notre Dame Chief Investment Officer (CIO)