Niklinska ticket wins JCC by 3 votes

IMG_6469Eva Niklinska, Katelyn Wray, Mason Zurovchak and Kimmy Sullivan were elected to serve as the class of 2017's Junior Class Council in a run-off election Friday.

The winning ticket garnered 510 votes (50.15%), while the ticket of Elizabeth Fenton, Louis Bertolotti, Conor Bradley and Shannon Hodges earned 507 votes (49.85%), Fenton said. Seventy-seven sophomores abstained from voting, but abstentions in a run-off election are not counted in the final vote count, according to the Student Union Constitution.

In the original election, held last Wednesday, the Fenton, Bertolotti, Bradley and Hodges ticket received 496 votes (46.97%), while the Niklinska, Wray, Zurovchak and Sullivan ticket earned 466 votes (44.13%), Fenton said. 94 students abstained, making up 8.9% of the vote, Fenton said. The amount of abstentions led to neither ticket earning a majority of the vote, resulting in a run-off election.

The winning ticket is excited to carry out their platform next year, Mason Zurovchak, the winning ticket's candidate for treasurer, said.

"We are grateful to Elizabeth, Louis, Conor and Shannon for a hard fought election." Zurovchak said. "We look forward to carrying out the various legs of our platform and bringing the class together next year.

"We are honored to be serving the class in these positions, and we are excited to get started."

Niklinska, Wray, Zurovchak and Sullivan will take office April 1.