Students elect new class councils

Judicial Council released the results of the 2015 class council elections at midnight this morning. First years JP Bruno, Molly Knapp, Matthew Ross and Henry Long were elected to serve as the Class of 2018's Sophomore Class Council, the ticket's presidential candidate, JP Bruno. The Bruno, Knapp, Ross and Long ticket garnered 50.73 percent of the vote, while the ticket consisting of Greg Perenich, Teresa Simunich, Patrick Rodgers and Helena Qu won 42.22 percent of the vote.

Bruno said his ticket was excited to begin their term as Sophomore Class Council.

“We are honored and humbled to have been elected as SCC reps. We couldn’t be more grateful to our opponents for running a clean, fair campaign, and we can’t wait to get to work for the Class of 2018,” Bruno said.

Neither of the sophomore tickets for Junior Class Council obtained a majority of the vote, resulting in a run-off election, Conor Bradley, one of the sophomore ticket's candidate for treasurer, said. The run-off will be held on Friday, February 20. Both tickets agreed to not release the breakdown of the election vote, Bradley said. Juniors Thomas Schneeman, Shannon Montague, Brian Cimons and Bridget Doyle were elected to serve as the Class of 2016's Senior Class Council, the ticket's candidate for vice-president, Shannon Montague, said. Both tickets agreed not to release the results of the vote, Montague said, but noted that 42 percent of juniors voted. Schneeman congratulated the other ticket for a well-run campaign. "We'd also like to thank the Class of 2016 for such a strong voter turnout. We are extremely excited to get to work on making this next year as memorable as possible. Go Irish!" Schneeman said. The new Class Councils will take their positions on April 1. News Editor Lesley Stevenson contributed to this report.