-

-

SMC Tennis

Belles finish 3-3 over spring break trip to Florida

| Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Saint Mary’s was busy over spring break, splitting six matches in the span of six days in Orlando and Sanlando, Florida.

The Belles (5-6, 0-1 MIAA) won their first three matches of the trip against Coe and Illinois Wesleyan on Sunday and St. Scholastica on Monday. The trip ended with the Belles dropping their final three matches of the trip against St. Francis, Haverford and Wheaton.

In its first match of the trip, Saint Mary’s defeated Coe, 5-4. In singles action, seniors Jackie Kjolhede and Shannon Elliott won their matches in three sets, while junior Margaret Faller and freshman Bailey Oppman pulled out victories in straight sets. The doubles pair of sophomore Sam Setterblad and freshman Maddie Minaudo won its match by a score of 8-2. Later on in the day, the Belles dominated Illinois Wesleyan, winning all their matches in straight sets. Among the winners for Saint Mary’s were Fetters, Kjolhede, Elliott, Faller, senior Kayle Sexton and freshman Kelsey Kopf.

The Belles were on the winning end of a 6-3 match Monday against St. Scholastica. Fetters, Kjolhede and Elliott won their matches in straight sets, and Sexton edged her opponent in three sets. Setterblad and Minaudo won their doubles match by a score of 9-7.

Later on in the day, the Belles lost a close, 5-4 match to St. Francis. In singles play, Kjolhede, Elliott and Kopf were victorious for Saint Mary’s, while the duo of sophomore Kaity Venters and freshman Rina Moore was the lone victors for the Belles in doubles.

“We fought hard in some long matches,” Belles coach Dale Campbell said. “We won two matches over three hours long to defeat Coe, 5-4, so that was an impressive victory. We won three out of four matches in a two-day stretch and probably would have won all of them had we not run out of gas.”

On Wednesday, the Belles lost to Haverford by a final score of 8-1. Setterblad and Minaudo were the lone Belles winners of the day, winning their doubles match, 8-5.

Saint Mary’s lost its final match of the trip Friday to Wheaton, 6-3. Faller and Oppman were the Belles’ winners in singles, and Fetters and Elliott were the lone winners in doubles action.

“We need more work in doubles and continue to get better playing patient points in singles,” Campbell said. “Overall, we are getting better with depth, placement, etc. We have to continue to play with more determination, more focus and learn how to win the tough matches. Our conference opponents will be ready to battle.”

The Belles’ next match is Saturday at 1 p.m., when they travel to conference foe Alma in Alma, Michigan.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

About Michael Ivey

Contact Michael