Couple endows rector position of Dillon Hall

Alumnus James Corgel and his wife, Christine, gifted $1 million to endow the rector position in Dillon Hall on Tuesday, a University press release said. This gift represents the first endowed rector position in a new initiative launched by the University to endow all rector positions in the 29 residence halls, the press release said.

The endowment will provide for a portion of the rector's salary, which will allow the University to provide more funds to each hall for events and programs, the press release said.

“The residence hall community has always been central to a Notre Dame undergraduate education, and the rector is a crucial figure in building that community,” University President Fr. John Jenkins said.

“Through their gift, Jim and Chris support the continuation of an educational ideal at Notre Dame that joins moral and spiritual growth with intellectual learning in the residence hall and the classroom.”

The current rector of Dillon Hall is Fr. Paul Doyle, who has served in this position since 1997, according to the press release.

“The rector role at Notre Dame is unique within higher education,” Erin Hoffmann Harding, vice president of student affairs, said. “While they have other important responsibilities, rectors serve first and foremost as pastors of our cherished residential communities ...

“This wonderfully generous gift from Jim and Chris is a powerful affirmation of the importance of this role to Notre Dame’s undergraduate education.”

James Corgel '73 earned his B.A. and MBA from Notre Dame and participated in the Irish Guard while he was an undergraduate, the press release said. Corgel retired from IBM in 2013, where he was a member of the senior management group, the press release said. He currently serves as chair of the University's Undergraduate Advisory Council and has previously served on the Graduate Studies and Research Advisory Council, the press release said. He also received the 2006 Distinguished Alumnus award, according to the press release.

His wife, Christine Corgel, earned her B.A. from Michigan State University and served in a variety of executive positions at IBM, the press release said. She now serves on the board of the Mercy Learning Center and is a mentor for at-risk high school students, the press release said.

“As a Dillon hall resident, I experienced great coaching and camaraderie that helped me prosper and grow at Notre Dame,” James Corgel said. “This environment was created and nurtured by my rectors, Frs. Jim Flanigan and Dave Schlaver.

“Today’s role models like Fr. Paul Doyle will ensure that residential life at ND remains relevant, leading-edge and inclusive. To me, this is a smart investment.”