GRC to host Women's Week 2015

This week, the Gender Relations Center (GRC) partnered with Shades of Ebony, a club that recognizes the University's African-American women, to celebrate the third annual Women’s Week. The theme is “Weaving the Stories of Notre Dame’s History.”

womens_weekUSE ME
Sara Shoemake
Sara Shoemake

Junior Chizo Ekechukwu, vice president of Shades of Ebony, said the annual event started as a celebration of the 40th anniversary of coeducation at Notre Dame.

“This is one of my favorite Shades [of Ebony] events because we really get to show campus the beauty and talent of women at this University,” she said. “With the passing of Fr. Hesburgh, we really want to give tribute to him and show our appreciation for his great accomplishments for women.”

Secretary and marketing director for Shades of Ebony, junior Rachel Wallace also said Hesburgh’s death will influence the events.

“With the passing of Fr. Hesburgh, it seems fitting that this week’s events are dedicated to him, as his impact on women at Notre Dame was, and still is, unparalleled,” Wallace said.

Events begin Monday night in Geddes Hall with an alumni panel to celebrate the formation of the GRC a decade ago. The panel will start at 7 p.m. and a reception will follow.

The club Notre Dames will partner with the GRC and Shades of Ebony on Tuesday night  for their weekly "Talk It Out Tuesday" at 6 p.m. in the Dooley Room of LaFortune. Discussion will focus on women in the media.

The main event of the week will be the third annual Celebration of Women Dinner, which will be in the McKenna Hall Dining Room at 6:30 p.m. The program will be dedicated to Hesburgh and will feature three panelists. This event is RSVP only.

In the Coleman-Morse Lounge at 8 p.m. Thursday, student groups on campus will collaborate to showcase and celebrate the stories of women’s lives in “Cafemme.” Desserts and coffee will be served and attendees are encouraged to bring toiletries to donate to St. Margaret's House.

Shades of Ebony president, junior Ray’Von Jones said she is looking forward to Cafemme most out of the week's events.

“This event is a performance-based coffeehouse in which various acts will be performing pieces about women,” she said. “This is a great chance for various stories related to women to be told. We wanted to make sure that we made a space for this to take place.”

According to the Women's Week 2015 website, toiletries will be collected in designated residence halls until Friday or can be dropped off at the GRC to benefit St. Margaret's House.

For Friday’s service project, local high school girls will come to campus to decorate toiletry boxes for St. Margaret’s House with the supplies collected throughout the week. They will also make bracelets for cancer patients, according to the Women's Week 2015 website.

To close out the week, Dillon Hall will host a “Rejoice!” Mass at 8 p.m., according to the Women's Week 2015 website. The mass will feature the Voices of Faith Gospel Choir.

More information about the events can be found at the event’s website, sites.google.com/a/nd.edu/womens-week/home.