Hannah Storm on Fr. Hesburgh

I was so fortunate  to spend with time with Fr. Hesburgh on a number of occasions. Many of those that stand out for me are when I visited campus for Notre Dame football games and hung out with him for a bit while we watched football from his perch above the Stadium.

When I left NBC Sports for CBS News about 14 years ago,  I was often nervous in the early going, especially when doing a big news interview that led our morning  program. I had broadcast in the past for some of the world's greatest sporting events, but was new to world of news and felt the weight of that responsibility.

One of the best things about Fr. Ted is that you felt comfortable telling him anything. He was interested in your world, was a great listener and always had wonderful advice. Of course, I hung onto his every word; in my mind, I was never going to meet a holier or wiser man on this earth. When I confessed my nervousness and insecurity in this regard, he responded by telling me to say these words just before going on air: "Come Holy Spirit." I knew that I had prepared as much as possible for the moments to come. ... But was also aware that I needed God's strength to enable me to do my best and serve the audience in a meaningful way.

These words were such a gift. From that point on, I have always said them before any big interview, broadcast or speech. I am calmed and confident ... and grateful. This is just one of the very personal ways that Fr. Ted had an impact on my life. I feel so blessed to have called him my friend.

Hannah Storm

Class of 1983

Broadcaster, ESPN