Irish tee it up on both coasts during break

Over spring break, Notre Dame finished 12th at the Lamkin San Diego Classic and 10th at the Talis Park Challenge in Naples, Florida.

Competing against a field that included four opponents ranked inside the top 30 in the nation at the Lamkin Classic, the Irish finished with a score of 912, shooting 301 in the first round, 309 in the second and 302 in the third.

Irish sophomore Liam Cox tees off in the Notre Dame Kickoff  Challenge at Warren Golf Course on Aug. 31.
Irish sophomore Liam Cox tees off in the Notre Dame Kickoff Challenge at Warren Golf Course on Aug. 31.
Irish sophomore Liam Cox tees off in the Notre Dame Kickoff
Challenge at Warren Golf Course on Aug. 31.

As the competition progressed, the conditions at the San Diego Country Club challenged all golfers, with the average score for the field on the final round being 75.5 strokes.

Sophomore Blake Barens, however, shot a career-best 18-hole score of 71 in his final round after firing a 76 in the first round and an 80 in the second, enough for him to finish in a tie for 47th.

Sophomore Matthew Rushton shot a 32 on his opening nine, on the way to a first round of 69. He managed a 77 in the second round and an 81 in the third to finish 47th overall.

Junior Cory Sciupider made three birdies in the final round to earn a share of 52nd place after rounds of 80, 77 and 72.

In his first start of the spring season, freshman Thomas Steve tied for 75th place after shooting a first round of 76, a second round of 75 and a final round of 80.

Sophomore Liam Cox shot a final round of 78 to follow his first two rounds of 82 and 85 and finish tied for 82nd.

At the Talis Park Classic, Barens and Steve each earned a share of 20th place with a total score of 215.

Barens bested his career mark from the week before, shooting a 70 in the first round followed by a 74 in the second and a 71 in the third.

Steve opened with a two-under-par 69 and ended the first day in fifteenth place after a 73 in the second, and then shot a 73 in the final round.

Rushton shot a 78 and a 76 on the first day, but a final round of 69 earned put him in a tie for 50th place.

Notre Dame will play its final event of the 2015 regular season schedule at the Mason Rudolph Invitational on April 3-4 at the Legends Club in Nashville, Tennessee.