ND to bask in West Coast sun

Notre Dame will head west next week for the Lamkin Grips San Diego Classic, which takes place at San Diego Country Club in Chula Vista, California, on Monday and Tuesday.

The Irish will be hoping to improve upon their performance from the Jones Invitational, in which they finished 14th with a 43-over-par 907 in the 54-hole competition held in Los Angeles.

Notre Dame will compete against teams from all around the country in the tournament hosted by San Diego and San Diego State.

The course at San Diego Country Club is a classic course with a par of 72, designed by William P. Bell. Known for its deep bunkers and fast greens, the 6,896 yard-long course has previously hosted the PGA San Diego Open and the USGA Women’s Open.

Senior Patrick Grahek follows through during the Notre Dame Kickoff Challenge on Aug. 31. The Irish will continue play Monday.
Senior Patrick Grahek follows through during the Notre Dame Kickoff Challenge on Aug. 31. The Irish will begin play in San Diego, California, on Monday.

Currently, it has not been announced if Notre Dame head coach Jim Kubinski will make any changes to the team that competed at the Jones Invitational, or stay with the lineup of seniors Tyler Wingo and Patrick Grahek and sophomores Blake Barens, Liam Cox and Matthew Rushton.

A few days later, Notre Dame will travel from the West Coast to the Gulf Coast, as they arrive at Talis Park Golf Club in Naples, Florida, for the Talis Park Challenge starting on March 15. The field for the event will include Indiana, Toledo and Vanderbilt.

The Talis Park course was designed in 2005 by Greg Norman and Pete Dye and measures 7,025 yards long.

The Lamkin Grips San Diego Classic will start Monday morning, and continue through Tuesday, while the Talis Park Challenge will run from March 15-16.