ND Student Senate discusses nominations, awards

At Wednesday evening's Student Senate meeting, the members voted on several items, including nominations for the 2015-2016 executive director of the Student Union Board (SUB), the 2015-2016 Club Coordination Council (CCC) president and an amendment to the constitution of the undergraduate student body, as well as nominations for the Irish Clover Award and the Frank O’Malley Undergraduate Teaching Award.

Junior Scott Copeland, the current executive director of SUB, nominated sophomore Louis Bertolotti as his replacement. Copeland said he gives Bertolotti his full endorsement.

“Louis’s dedication and enthusiasm for the Student Union will aid him greatly in leading SUB and representing the group throughout campus,” he said.

Bertolotti’s nomination was approved.

Senior James McEntee presented his nomination for junior Marisa Thompson to replace him as CCC President for the 2015-2016 school year. McEntee said Thompson’s service as the division chair for the Performing Arts division convinced him of her ability.

“Marisa has been a great leader on the Club Coordination Council as the Performing Arts division chair, and I fully expect her to continue to do great things as the leader of the organization as a whole,” he said.

The Irish Clover Award is given to two individuals (students, faculty, staff or administrators) who have demonstrated exemplary service to the Student Union. Senators voted on three nominees, awarding it to seniors Hermona Abera and Katherine Wood.

Copeland nominated Abera, saying she was the quintessential SUB member.

“She always brings intensely positive energy and is immensely dedicated to SUB,” he said. “Hermona absolutely embodies the spirit of Notre Dame, and her dedication to the Student Union goes above and beyond the call of duty.”

Student body president Lauren Vidal nominated Wood, saying she had been an outstanding member of the Student Union for the course of the last three years.

“It’s hard to count how many nights she has stayed with us in the office until the early morning hours to help our team through even the most difficult projects,” she said.

The senators then voted on the Frank O’Malley Undergraduate Teaching Award, which is given to an outstanding member of the Notre Dame faculty. Chris Stevens, professor of management, won the award.

Junior Nathan Rowicki, who nominated Stevens, said Stevens is unparalleled as a teacher.

“Every class with Chris empowered us and built us up,” he said. “He challenged us to become more caring individuals and he encouraged us when we achieved success.”

After the voting, there was an open discussion regarding the fate of newspaper subscriptions on campus.

Senior Michael Wajda, Hall Presidents Council co-chair, also presented Resolution SS1415-15 to amend the constitution of the undergraduate student body. The amendment proposed the removal of apostrophes in “Hall President’s Council” throughout the document.