Notre Dame to travel to Arizona for Clover Cup

As the University heads into its spring break, Notre Dame will jet off to sunny Mesa, Arizona, for a week of practice in preparation for the Clover Cup.

Two weekends ago, the Irish started their spring season on a high note, finishing tied for third at the Westbrook Spring Invitational in Peoria, Arizona. All five Irish golfers factored into the team's score at some point in the weekend, and the tournament marked the team’s third top-three finish in five tournaments this season. Furthermore, their four-over-par 868 (291-289-288) was the fourth-lowest 54-hole gross score in program history.

Tournament champion No.14 Tennessee finished 13-under par, and Oregon finished three strokes behind the champion to claim second place. The Irish tied with the College of Charleston and finished two strokes ahead of Ohio State.

Notre Dame head coach Susan Holt said she was happy to get back on the course again.

Junior Ashley Armstrong follows through on her shot at the Landfall Tradition in Wilmington, North     Carolina on Oct. 24. Notre Dame finished fifth at the event as Armstrong led the Irish with a score of 69.
Junior Ashley Armstrong follows through on her shot at the Landfall Tradition in Wilmington, North Carolina on Oct. 24. Notre Dame finished fifth at the event as Armstrong led the Irish with a score of 69.
Junior Ashley Armstrong follows through on her swing during a tournament. This weekend Notre Dame will be traveling to Mesa, Arizona, where the Irish will compete for the Clover Cup.

“We played well, scored well, and we were excited to get out on the course and start playing as a team again,” Holt said. “But at the same time there is always room for improvement, and we will look to get better this week in Arizona.”

For the past few months, the team has been practicing at the Rolfs Family Golf Facility, located at the Warren Golf Course. The facility, which has six hitting stations that overlook the golf course’s driving range, has been important for the team's development, Holt said.

“We have a state-of-the-art golf facility at the golf course,” Holt said. “It’s a 1,000 [plus]-square-foot facility with heated putting greens and chipping stations. Most importantly, the six hitting stations allow us to refine out swings regardless of the weather.”

However, during spring break, the team will travel back to the Valley of the Sun for a week of outdoor practice and acclimation to Longbow Golf Club, where they will host the Clover Cup from March 13 to March 15.

The tournament should present some steep competition, with No. 26 Arizona State headlining the tournament field. While acknowledging that the Sun Devils will be tough to beat, Holt declared that the Irish have expectations of winning the tournament.

“Every time we compete we try to win,” Holt said. “It’s certainly not going to change because it’s winter here. We have a really talented team, and our attitude is to come out and win. ASU is the top-ranked team, and we might come in right behind them, but we always try to win.”

The Irish will look toward their depth for success next weekend at the Clover Cup in Mesa, Arizona.